Repurposed / Upcycled Hillbilly Bird Feeders

2nd 21 hours ago
I created these and one other one recently for a Birds & Blooms magazine DIY feature.
It was to provide a solution for really inexpensive bird feeder construction at home.
I used everything from muffin pans, to remnant wood, to tray lids, and a few accessories.
I used jack chain for the suspension.
These were created for only $20 each.

To see more: http://www.gadgetsponge.com/posts/2013/2/4/repurposed-upcycled-hillbilly-bird-feeders-continuation-from.html

• Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    They didn't until they got to play with it. I gradully added different veggies carrots, fresh cherry tomatoes, celery sticks etc. Plastic placemats and we were good to go.
  • GadgetSponge.com
    GadgetSponge.com Shreveport, LA
    I'm with Home Repair Tutor, Kelly. I still think that wouldn't be enough to get my 5 yr. old to eat some of that. Luckily he likes broccoli and celery. Great idea though and definite fun for kids. Now when I see the muffin tins in the antique and thrift
  • Leena Milligan-Lanteigne
    This is so cool! An all you can eat birdie buffet! I know that the birdies in my yard would love the variety and ease of eating! Have to make one of these!
  • GadgetSponge.com
    GadgetSponge.com Shreveport, LA
    Thanks Leena! Hope you get a chance to make one!
  • Eclectically Vintage - Kelly
    What a fabulous idea!
  • Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone
    I love the creativity of this idea! I agree that the squirrels would have a field day with a feeder like this but oh well. They get hungry too :)
  • Tara @ Suburble
    This is fantastic! I - too - worry about my crazy He-Man squirrel posse that lives in the backyard. But if you want to take it to the true hill-billy level, you can suspend it your bird feeder on a wire (like a clothesline), but string pop bottles
  • GadgetSponge.com
    GadgetSponge.com Shreveport, LA
    Thanks Eclectically Vintage and Make Your Own Zone. I didn't have the budget to go all commando against the skills. The project required me to be on a shoe-string budget with things around the house. That's a great idea Tara!
  • Linda @ Mixed Kreations
    What a neat idea. Buffet for the birds, and the squirrels at my house.
  • Kat Davis-Moran
    Kat Davis-Moran Naples, FL
    to cute
  • Barbara Turner
    Barbara Turner Chesterfield, VA
    How on EARTH did you come up with this????!!!! I love it! I would have NEVER thought of this! Awesome! But how do you keep squirrels out of it or does it matter?
    • GadgetSponge.com
      GadgetSponge.com Shreveport, LA
      Barbara Turner Thanks Barbara! Expectations about squirrels are just something you have to live with sometime. I try not to smother my creativity with concerns about the
  • Myra
    Myra Jemison, AL
    This is great! So colorful.Think I'll try a 12 cup & see what happens.

Thank you so much for sharing.

• TheDIYShow.com
    TheDIYShow.com Little Rock, AR
    So cute! I bet you have a lot of feathery friends!!
    • GadgetSponge.com
      GadgetSponge.com Shreveport, LA
      TheDIYShow.com Thanks so much! These are still in my booth for sale actually. I really like when folks take home my feeders to enjoy. Thanks again!
  • Berniee2000
    Berniee2000 Bay Village, OH
    Cute idea, but we'd have to refill it every hour in our backyard. It would also end up being a sopping mess after a driving rain.
  • GadgetSponge.com
    GadgetSponge.com Shreveport, LA
    It's just a quick birdfeeder that I did a feature with in the magazine Birds & Blooms. It was bird feeders on a budget. Plus, there's drainage holes in the bottoms of the cups. Thanks for stopping in!
GadgetSponge.com