Lithodora: Evergreen and Electric Blue Radiance

Just Blue 07.28.15
So many of you enjoyed my post about Candytuft, that I'm sharing another plant recommendation for your gardens: Lithodora. I had never heard of Lithodora before we moved here to our furrever home, and in fact when I first saw it at a garden nursery assumed it was the annual flower Lobelia. I was told by the nursery that Lithodora can handle our hot and humid southern New Jersey Shore Summers, that it will bloom profusely all Summer long, and that it was an evergreen perennial. That was in 2008. Now that I have the hindsight of the past several years, I can share with you the realities of what this plant does and doesn't do. Some of my observations differ from the experts, or at least the experts that told me about this plant! (There's more pictures and details in the blog post, just click the link below.) #SpringColors
Difficulty: Easy
  • These photos were taken in mid-April 2012, here in southern New Jersey. The electric blue is a welcome jolt of Spring color in my front garden!
  • A baby Monarch butterfly kept me company while I was planting a new patch of Lithodora. I love having butterflies around all Spring, Summer and early Fall enjoying our flowers!
  • This is what a typical Lithodora plant will look like at the nursery. You can read lots of specifics about this plant in my blog post.

To see more: http://petscribbles.blogspot.com/2012/04/lithodora-evergreen-and-electric-blue.html

• Barbara S
    Barbara S Las Vegas, NV
    I live in Las Vegas, will they grow here??????
  • Susy Olsen
    Susy Olsen Rochester, MN
    it's a zone 5 plant... we MAY be able to keep it alive in Minnesota... depending on it's tolerance to heat, you should be able to grow it in Las Vegas. If it requires full sun, give it partial sun in your area and make sure it gets watered regularly.
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    Laura, Pet Scribbles Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    Thanks Susy Olsen for jumping in here! :)
  • Gabriel D
    Gabriel D Houston, TX
    Such a rich, vibrant plant.
  • Beth M
    Beth M Plymouth, IN
    I know this post is a year old, but I just planted some of this last year in zone 5. Luckily, last year was a rainy summer, that I didn't have to babysit my new plantings too much in our sandy soil. One did much better than the other, even though they're
    • Laura, Pet Scribbles
      Beth M I'm curious how ours has done too, because we had many days of freezing cold, and it looks like some of the plants are no longer green. But I saw a few green parts poking through, so keeping my fingers crossed!
Laura, Pet Scribbles