Hometalk.com

03.21.14

Lithodora: Evergreen and Electric Blue Radiance

So many of you enjoyed my post about Candytuft, that I'm sharing another plant recommendation for your gardens: Lithodora. I had never heard of Lithodora before we moved here to our furrever home, and in fact when I first saw it at a garden nursery assumed it was the annual flower Lobelia. I was told by the nursery that Lithodora can handle our hot and humid southern New Jersey Shore Summers, that it will bloom profusely all Summer long, and that it was an evergreen perennial. That was in 2008. Now that I have the hindsight of the past several years, I can share with you the realities of what this plant does and doesn't do. Some of my observations differ from the experts, or at least the experts that told me about this plant! (There's more pictures and details in the blog post, just click the link below.) #SpringColors
Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://petscribbles.blogspot.com/2012/04/lithodora-evergreen-and-electric-blue.html

18 Comments Displaying 15 of 18 comments | See Previous
  • I like these a lot Laura! I have a thing for blue flowers for some reason!
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    I'm partial to the blue, too! I enjoyed your post, Laura!
  • Janis Lawrenceville, GA
    I have a large patch of these next to my front steps, that have spread reliably each year. Love them! They get covered with pine straw during fall and winter, and though I'll stop and pick some of the straw off now and then, I mostly forget they're there
  • Molly F Pittsford, NY
    definitely will look for these at the nursery - can't plant till May here, but I can plan till then and hope it comes early....
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    Janis - you never know: that section on your "other side of the steps" just might surprise you one day and you'll have lots of blue flowers! I had thought ours was dying, ripped it out (or so
  • Janis Lawrenceville, GA
    Thanks, Laura, I am optimistic about that spot this Spring. It's still alive, so I will look forward to it spreading gradually. Each year, the gardens get better; some things fade away, and some things flourish, and I am always adding my favorites,
    I experience the same thing Janis - there are plants that I didn't expect to thrive that continue to amaze me, and there are plants I thought would be so easy to grow yet I fail at maintaining
  • Janis Lawrenceville, GA
    So often, the reason for them fading away for me in Georgia, is not watering them well enough in our droughts, to get them well-established... The survivors survive through the tough love that I give them!
    "tough love" - another good description! :)
  • Barbara S Las Vegas, NV
    I live in Las Vegas, will they grow here??????
  • Susy Olsen Rochester, MN
    it's a zone 5 plant... we MAY be able to keep it alive in Minnesota... depending on it's tolerance to heat, you should be able to grow it in Las Vegas. If it requires full sun, give it partial sun in your area and make sure it gets watered regularly.
    Thanks Susy Olsen for jumping in here! :)
  • Gabriel D Canada
    Such a rich, vibrant plant.
  • Beth M Plymouth, IN
    I know this post is a year old, but I just planted some of this last year in zone 5. Luckily, last year was a rainy summer, that I didn't have to babysit my new plantings too much in our sandy soil. One did much better than the other, even though they're
      Beth M I'm curious how ours has done too, because we had many days of freezing cold, and it looks like some of the plants are no longer green. But I saw a few green parts poking through, so keeping my fingers crossed!