Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

A Trip Down Memory Lane ~ My Former Garden

Today I'm taking you with me on a trip down memory lane to my former garden. Our brick split-level sat on a seventy-five by one hundred foot lot in a development established in the 1950s and looked pretty much like all the other homes around us. Over the course of thirteen years, using landscaping , paint and accents, we transformed this cookie-cutter house into a country cottage home. This tiny garden was a joy to me, open to our friends and neighbors and was even featured on several garden tours. But time marches on. All those steps inside and outside and the sloped front yard made this a home we realized we could not grow old in. Five years ago, we began making a new garden and an older ranch home our own.

But , once in a while, I have to look back and remember that lovely little garden which I'll always carry in my heart.

Read about the process and see more pictures at http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/a-trip-... also http://pinterest.com/barbrosen/my-former-gar...

To see more: http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/a-trip-down-memory-lane-my-former-garden/

7 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 7 of 7 comments
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I can so relate to your feelings, Barb. I left behind my first real garden at my house in New York last fall. There was nothing there when I bought the house and the site was very challenging, literally tucked into the side of hill, but eventually the
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Sharon @ mrs. hines class
    Oh, I was sad to leave behind my first garden too. Almost everything I planted was a transplant from family... So, it was a sentimental garden. And I created the whole landscape...there was nothing there but leaves and pine needles when we moved in.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    You do understand, Douglas Hunt , if you have made such a wonderful garden and had to say good-bye to it ! I don't know about you, but I wish I'd taken a lot more pictures!
  • Debbie Borthwick
    We had to leave behind a home with beautiful gardens, too. We started with a blank slate and built a wonderful property. When we had to move to another city, the gardens were what sold the house. The buyers really wanted a pool, but were so happy with
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Sharon @ mrs. hines class , you are absolutely right! This was a wonderful classroom where I learned many things about plants and maintaining a garden, lessons I'll never forget!
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    It must have been so hard to leave. I hope the new owners knew how to take care of it like you did. The pictures you have are beautiful. Do you ever drive by to see what it looks like now?
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    , our gardens sold the house too, but, ironically, to folks who knew very little about gardening. I went and helped them on quite a few occasions but it was a chore and not a passion for them. Miriam I
Barb Rosen