Homemade Laundry Detergent

04.27.16
With only four ingredients, this homemade laundry detergent is simple to mix up and cheap to make. It only takes two tablespoons per load. We've been using it for years and love it! Get the full tutorial at Dukes and Duchesses {link in profile}.
Time: 5 Minutes Cost: $6-7 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://dukesandduchesses.com/2013/01/homemade-detergent

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Amy W.
    Amy W. Clermont, FL
    This detergent works really well... I have been making my own for about 5 years and I can imagine how much money I have saved..I order my Borax and washing soda and I use Fels Naptha soap from Alice.com It is cheaper than in any of the grocery stores and
  • Jennifer Parchman-Miller
    I've used a version of this recipe for a couple of years now and I will never go back to store bought brands. Is a 3rd of the cost and last me at least 4 months per batch. I do add oxy clean and use an old food processor grate the soap down, mixing the
  • Sara Smith
    Sara Smith Scotts Valley, CA
    Can this be used with the HE machines?
  • Randi Dukes
    Randi Dukes Flower Mound, TX
    I don't have an HE machine and I've heard that it's not supposed to be used with one ... but I also have friends that do use it with their HE machines and haven't had problems.
  • Lyndie C
    Lyndie C Cypress, CA
    I've been making homemade laundry soap using either Fels Naptha or Zote (whatever is available at the time) since I first got my HE machine 4 years ago and have never had a problem with it.
  • ShirlSumm
    ShirlSumm Ely, NV
    where's the recipe?
  • Randi Dukes
    Randi Dukes Flower Mound, TX
    ShirlSumm ... click on the link above where it says "see more" and you'll see the full recipe.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Des Moines, IA
    I have been making my own soap with the Borax, Arm & Hammer, Dawn dish soap. Wash in warm water. I have a mess on my cloths, especially the dark cloths, dried white powder all over. I have even boiled the dry ingredients with the water and let cool. Help.
    • Jean dudley
      jean dudley Ocala, FL
      Donnie Hi Donnie, I know how to not have the white powder on your clothes. 1st let your washer run water, add the dry soap mixture and let your washer wash WITHOUT the clothes for a
  • Jean dudley
    jean dudley Ocala, FL
    To Donnie: Rinse your clothes thoroughly; I rinse my clothes about 3 times over. This will get the dry powder off of your clothes. OR, make your own liquid laundry detergent.
  • Sonia Burrows
    Sonia Burrows Scottsdale, AZ
    Jean, that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? You save on laundry detergent but spend it on using so much water.
  • Valerie
    Valerie South Africa
    Thanks for this - I definitely will give it a try.
Randi Dukes