Hometalk.com

HomeTips 01.17.14

Homemade Laundry Detergent

With only four ingredients (borax, washing soda, baking soda, and soap flakes), this homemade laundry detergent is simple to mix up and cheap to make. It only takes two tablespoons per load. We've been using it for years and love it! #CleaningTricks
Time: 5 Minutes Cost: $6-7 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://dukesandduchesses.com/2013/01/homemade-detergent

7 Comments Displaying 7 of 7 comments
  • Amy W. Clermont, FL
    This detergent works really well... I have been making my own for about 5 years and I can imagine how much money I have saved..I order my Borax and washing soda and I use Fels Naptha soap from Alice.com It is cheaper than in any of the grocery stores and
  • I've used a version of this recipe for a couple of years now and I will never go back to store bought brands. Is a 3rd of the cost and last me at least 4 months per batch. I do add oxy clean and use an old food processor grate the soap down, mixing the
  • Sara Smith Scotts Valley, CA
    Can this be used with the HE machines?
  • Randi Dukes Flower Mound, TX
    I don't have an HE machine and I've heard that it's not supposed to be used with one ... but I also have friends that do use it with their HE machines and haven't had problems.
  • Lyndie C Cypress, CA
    I've been making homemade laundry soap using either Fels Naptha or Zote (whatever is available at the time) since I first got my HE machine 4 years ago and have never had a problem with it.
  • ShirlSumm Ely, NV
    where's the recipe?
  • Randi Dukes Flower Mound, TX
    ShirlSumm ... click on the link above where it says "see more" and you'll see the full recipe.