How to Clean Blinds - the easy way!

05.07.15
Getting the Spring Fever itch? Get a jump start on your spring cleaning with an easy way to clean those icky blinds.
Time: 20 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
Try vinegar and water or for really tough stuck on grime - bleach and water
Broken slats can be repaired easily by swapping it out for a perfectly good one on the bottom.
Swap out slats using the same technique used to shorten blinds. Pop off the plastic buttons on the bottom of the blinds.
Remove the pull cords up to the broken slat. Replace the slat with one from the bottom.
Re-thread the pull cord through all slats, replace plastic buttons on the bottom and presto!!

To see more: http://www.creativelysouthern.com/2013/02/how-to-clean-blinds.html

• Julie Bright
    Julie Bright Flowery Branch, GA
    I just go to a discount store and buy replacements... of course, I don't have fancy blinds either :-)
  • Karla
    Karla Lampasas, TX
    It would be easier to take down and clean than to buy new ones, correct size, color, and having to replace hangers etc. the time you spent getting ready and going shopping you could have cleaned them at home.
  • Jane R.
    Jane R. Rosenberg, TX
    I can't take them down, wash and put back up all by myself. Also the drapes are in the way and I can't take them down alone either. I'd like to do away with blinds altogether.
  • Vicki
    Vicki York, PA
    My mother-in-law puts them in the dishwasher.
    • Vicki
      Vicki York, PA
      Judysullivan23 She lays them out as open as possible on the top rack and runs the load on light wash. Works like a charm but I don't know how it would be on wooden ones.
  • Marcella
    Marcella Canada
    I wash them in the bathtub and the clothes line .
  • Debra Byrd Milam
    Debra Byrd Milam Denham Springs, LA
    I took mine to a carwash once. Used the clips that hold floor mats on the wall to hold them up while I used sprayer to wash.
  • Susan Langlois
    Susan Langlois North Bennington, VT
    So, basically, there is NO easy way to clean blinds...Just as I feared...
  • Abaird
    Abaird Braselton, GA
    I'd love to know an easy (or less time consuming) way to clean wooden blinds. I don't think I should wash them in the tub.
  • Sue Weiker
    Sue Weiker Napoleon, OH
    It really is very simple. I used to have rod holders that held them but one broke this past year. I then, while at Wal Mart just came across the triple hooks for showers to hang scrubbies on so I brainstormed and, bought one and tried it. I hang it in
    • Arlene Fitzpatrick
      Arlene Fitzpatrick Woodbridge, VA
      Sue Weiker this sounds like a great idea. My blinds are so overdue for a really good cleaning. I like the idea of using the scrubbie holder.
    • Sue Weiker
      Sue Weiker Napoleon, OH
      Arlene Fitzpatrick I am doing my blinds next week. Will use this method all the time now. Works really nicely
  • Judy Lyle
    Judy Lyle Erwin, TN
    Agree...on several comments...is there any EASY way? I cannot take mine down... I clean them one slat at a time...it is time consuming. I don't like the blinds but where I live I have to have them on all my windows. I was hoping to find an easy cleaning
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      We clean several move outs daily, we never taken them down. We use a dust pan brush and brush them off really well first. It is soft and gets rid of the dust and keeps it from turning into a muddy mess. Then we have wet microfiber rags and soray the
  • Redhead
    redhead Kissee Mills, MO
    I guess the answer to this question is, "NO!"
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
  • Dianna Meyer
    Dianna Meyer Deland, FL
    ok I hate to admit I can be lazy, but I did find a little simpler way to clean them (kinda) I leave them hanging spay with scrubbing bubbles...be sure to put down some towel under the last part of the blind .Lightly spray both sides of the blinds. Give
  • Jacqueline Ford
    what about vertical blinds?
  • Marcy Crossman
    Marcy Crossman Inverness, FL
    I put them in the tub, washed with Dawn and hot water, and hung to dry using the shower head to rinse on both sides. I got one of those shower curtain rods that is expandable and hung it in the middle of the tub. Hung the blinds using wire ties until
  • Safiyyah 'Sofie'
    Safiyyah 'Sofie' Irving, TX
    I take a brush vaccum extension and vaccum the dust off... Then take a wet sponge and wipe them down
Ellora - Creatively Southern