Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

8 Great Tips For Finding FREE Compost Materials

10.06.14
Compost is a necessity if you want to have great soil and healthy, productive plants. Along with cover crops, compost is one of the two major components that are critical to our garden's success year after year. However, for many people, finding sources to create that compost can be difficult. Today's post is all about finding endless supplies of cheap (meaning free) materials to build any size compost pile you like!

Every single day, in communities all over the world - millions if not billions of pounds of compostable materials are wasted by heading to a landfill. Although many cities and townships are beginning to have their own composting facilities - most still don't. And among those that have them - only a small portion of those materials actually make it to the facility. So, what does that mean for you? It means that with just a little planning and leg work - you can have all the materials you want for free.

Whether you compost in 5 gallon buckets, fancy bins, barrels or in a huge pile "out back" - finding the resources to fill your pile should never be a problem. A quick word of caution when finding materials - make sure the materials you collect are from a safe source. Wood

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/02/26/8-great-tips-for-finding-free-compost-materials/

9 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 9 of 9 comments
  • Brenda
    Brenda Jacksonville, FL
    I have tried, many times to grow tomato plants in the ground and in large containers, even a topsy turvy planter with no success! Slugs always get to my plants and kill them. I might get two or three tomatoes from a plant. Can anyone tell me what I can
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Missingtx
      missingtx Junction City, KS
      Brenda I had slugs & snails in my garden and I used beer I used some small shallow bowls placed in the dirt so their tops were soil level. I went to a store and bouht a can of beer, opened it &
  • Old World Garden Farms
    Hi Brenda.. Have you tried home made beer traps? When you see them coming on (the slugs) - you can try some lids filled with beer around the plants. They will craw in and that is that.
  • Sandy stengel
    Sandy stengel Sioux Falls, SD
    I heard egg shells around the plant. Slugs don't like the sharp edges.
  • Brenda
    Brenda Jacksonville, FL
    I have tried the beer and sand paper but neither thing worked. I only used one lid filled with beer because that is what I was told to do. I was also told to put pieces of sand paper around the stalk but that didn't work either. I bought a product from
  • Cheri Schulzke
    Cheri Schulzke Salt Lake City, UT
    try running copper tubing along the rim of your pot. Also, keep lower leave trimmed off so that the critters cannot reach them. Trimming off the bottom leaves will not hurt the plant. There is a product that will not harm pets it is call Sluggo.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Cheri is right, keeping the area cleared of leaves and plant debris will certainly help keep Evidently you have a lot of shade and damp areas around where you're planting. Slugs love the dark and wet. You can also try diatomaceous earth, much better
  • Debbie May Arcay
    Coffee grounds keep slugs away from Hostas, don't know why it wouldn't work with any plant.
  • Jennifer G
    Jennifer G Clifton, CO
    When I had a slug problem, I used bunt cake or jello mold pans from the thrift store for my beer traps. It works like a moat around the tomato plant. Just place around the young plant, burying it slightly into the ground or pot so that the critters can't
Old World Garden Farms