Hometalk.com

For the Garden 8 hours ago

Make A Repurposed Garden Chandelier

This garden chandelier is true shabby chic, combining old and elegant to add bling to your garden . It's also my oldest and favourite garden art piece.

It's easy to make.

1. Find an old metal kitchen colander (or metal lamp shade). You want something with holes in it (or you can use a metal drill bit and drill them).

2. Using 16 gauge wire, wrap around marbles and hang crystals from the ends. You could thread transparent beads onto the wire. Pick colours you love.

3. Attach flat-bottom marbles or other decorations on the colander using clear-drying outdoor silicone sealant.

4. Add wire to the top and hang the chandelier outdoors.

TIP: I find crystals at stores like Habitat For Humanity. Check old light fixtures. Lots of the ugly ones from the 1970s and 80s

Time: 1-2 Hours Cost: $5-15 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/make-a-garden-chandelier/

29 Comments Displaying 15 of 29 comments | See Previous
  • Sue Allentown, PA
    That is a great idea. I also love windchimes. I'll have to try this too.

Thanks for sharing.

• I love this. It's so pretty.
  • Sylvia Z Edmond, OK
    Great Idea, very cute
  • B.Kirby Granite Falls, NC
    I love windchimes thank-you so much for sharing,Im not that creative.
  • A few people have mentioned windchimes. This chandelier doesn't actually make any sound. The crystals don't really make any noise, even on a windy day. :)
  • Kathy Bass Galveston, TX
    How CUTE!!! Can't wait to make this for my garden. Thanks for sharing.
  • Patty S Sturgeon Bay, WI
    I love this, I am always looking for new and interesting garden art. Thanks for sharing.
  • Terri Styer Barberton, OH
    I love this, I'm going to get working right away and make a few for the yard and some for gifts. Thanks for the idea.

• Carol L Moores Hill, IN
    Thank you for sharing Melissa! Great idea!
  • Karin Graham Knoxville, IA
    i have a lot of these lamp class prisms to use and old colanders will do that, sounds like fun and i have big gardens
  • Glade Interiors Gainesville, FL
    I'm going to try one with old jewelry, and a battery light inside and hang it over my bistro table.
  • Debra Miller Palo Cedro, CA
    have all the goodies, can't wait to put it together. Thank you for sharing such a great idea.
  • Laurie Sedalia, MO
    This would work with the old heat lamp covers I have for my chickens.
  • Organized Clutter International Falls, MN
    This is so fun Melissa!
  • Organized Clutter Thanks, Carlene! It was the first piece of garden junk I ever made. Who knew it would lead to a lifelong passion!