Make A Repurposed Garden Chandelier

Garden 02.22.15
This garden chandelier is true shabby chic, combining old and elegant to add bling to your garden . It's also my oldest and favourite garden art piece.

It's easy to make.

1. Find an old metal kitchen colander (or metal lamp shade). You want something with holes in it (or you can use a metal drill bit and drill them).

2. Using 16 gauge wire, wrap around marbles and hang crystals from the ends. You could thread transparent beads onto the wire. Pick colours you love.

3. Attach flat-bottom marbles or other decorations on the colander using clear-drying outdoor silicone sealant.

4. Add wire to the top and hang the chandelier outdoors.

TIP: I find crystals at stores like Habitat For Humanity. Check old light fixtures. Lots of the ugly ones from the 1970s and 80s

Time: 1-2 Hours Cost: $5-15 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/make-a-garden-chandelier/

• Sue
    Sue Allentown, PA
    That is a great idea. I also love windchimes. I'll have to try this too.

Thanks for sharing.

• Debi Bolocofsky
    I love this. It's so pretty.
  • Sylvia Z
    Sylvia Z Edmond, OK
    Great Idea, very cute
  • B.Kirby
    B.Kirby Granite Falls, NC
    I love windchimes thank-you so much for sharing,Im not that creative.
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    A few people have mentioned windchimes. This chandelier doesn't actually make any sound. The crystals don't really make any noise, even on a windy day. :)
  • Kathy Bass
    Kathy Bass Galveston, TX
    How CUTE!!! Can't wait to make this for my garden. Thanks for sharing.
  • Patty S
    Patty S Sturgeon Bay, WI
    I love this, I am always looking for new and interesting garden art. Thanks for sharing.
  • Terri Styer
    Terri Styer Barberton, OH
    I love this, I'm going to get working right away and make a few for the yard and some for gifts. Thanks for the idea.

• Carol L
    Carol L Moores Hill, IN
    Thank you for sharing Melissa! Great idea!
  • Karin Graham
    Karin Graham Knoxville, IA
    i have a lot of these lamp class prisms to use and old colanders will do that, sounds like fun and i have big gardens
  • Glade Interiors
    Glade Interiors Bradenton, FL
    I'm going to try one with old jewelry, and a battery light inside and hang it over my bistro table.
  • Debra Miller
    Debra Miller Palo Cedro, CA
    have all the goodies, can't wait to put it together. Thank you for sharing such a great idea.
  • Laurie
    Laurie Sedalia, MO
    This would work with the old heat lamp covers I have for my chickens.
  • Organized Clutter
    Organized Clutter International Falls, MN
    This is so fun Melissa!
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Organized Clutter Thanks, Carlene! It was the first piece of garden junk I ever made. Who knew it would lead to a lifelong passion!
Empress of Dirt - Melissa