Bottle Garden Edging

We wanted a unique edging for a few of our garden beds in our backyard.....so, we used old, colored bottles. A bonus: when the little indentions in the top fill with water, they attract butterflies! #Love2Repurpose #SpringFever #Exterior
We collected bottles from friends, restaurants, etc. and used a bulb planter to make holes to stick the 'neck' of the bottle into. We have another bottle border in another area of our yard that we actually dug a small trench and planted the bottles much deeper. Both ways work very well.
The bottles are beautiful when the sun shines through the colors at different times of the day.
#Itching4Spring #Gardening #MyCurrentProject #DIY
Check out the how-to here:
Time: 1 Hour Difficulty: Easy
  • Robin G
    Robin G Ripley, OH
    I did this last summer..and all bottles made it through a cold Ohio winter. Our house sits on a river bank, and I put the bottles along the bank. The ground did freeze and thaw and some bottles "fell" out of the ground, but I just put them back in.
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    Wonderful, Robin....ours has been in place a few years now and is doing great! =)
  • Bellehse
    Bellehse Chattanooga, TN
    I used liquor bottles instead of wine so that I had more interesting shapes, as well as colors
  • Jan Barber
    Jan Barber Cedar City, UT
    Iv`e been collecting old bottles for a while now I had a bottle tree I thought the tree was dead so I hung bottles on it but when I started watering the flowers around it,it came back lol its a cherry tree so now I know what to do with my bottles I`ll
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    I'm sure the different shapes are really neat! =)
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    That will look great, Jan Barber !
  • Rachel Medina
    Rachel Medina Ogallala, NE
    More reason to drink wine:)
  • Maria J. Sousa
    Maria J. Sousa Portugal
    if they hold water that attracts butterflies, wouldn't they also be perfect for mosquito eggs?
  • Sheryl Johnson
    Sheryl Johnson Highland, IL
    I think the small amount of water on the end of a bottle would dry up far too quickly to breed mosquitoes.
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    We have a wine bottle border and yes small amounts of water do collect in the ends. We've had a terrible time with mosquitoes this year so I've become somewhat of an expert on them thanks to our county vector control lady. They only need a teaspoon or
    • Maria J. Sousa
      Maria J. Sousa Portugal
      Janet F Thanks for the info. I really like the way they look. My garden is on very rocky ground so it would take forever to bury the bottles. For that reason alone I'm not going
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    We had the worst problem with them about a month ago so July - August which are dry months for us so any water in the bottle tops came from the sprinkler system. We've pretty much concluded that they aren't breeding on our property but either in the
  • Stacy @ anygirlcandoit.com
    I have been saving bottles to do this but was planning to cut them down for a border. But this got me thinking that it might be the right way to do it to keep my short legged basset hounds out of the flowers. How did you take the labels off? Always
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    We did not bother to remove them. Originally I was very careful trying to make them look good but with time and rain they pretty much remove themselves. If you aren't doing too large an area you could take the time to remove them but we didn't want to
  • Stacy @ anygirlcandoit.com
    Awesome! Thanks!
  • Elizabeth Dion
    Elizabeth Dion Hockley, TX
    The bottles with the deep indentations are great for adding tea lights to for night time entertaining if the beds are near the house!
Daune | Cottage in the Oaks