Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Awesome Remodels 08.14.14

Bottle Garden Edging

We wanted a unique edging for a few of our garden beds in our backyard.....so, we used old, colored bottles. A bonus: when the little indentions in the top fill with water, they attract butterflies! #Love2Repurpose #SpringFever #Exterior
We collected bottles from friends, restaurants, etc. and used a bulb planter to make holes to stick the 'neck' of the bottle into. We have another bottle border in another area of our yard that we actually dug a small trench and planted the bottles much deeper. Both ways work very well.
The bottles are beautiful when the sun shines through the colors at different times of the day.
#Itching4Spring #Gardening #MyCurrentProject #DIY
Check out the how-to here:
Time: 1 Hour Difficulty: Easy
39 Comments Displaying 15 of 39 comments | See Previous
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    Love the idea of the bulb planter. We tried this out in a couple of places in our yard and now we need to decide whether to continue. They've been in for a year with no problems. I use weed killer around them so no need to use the weedeater close to
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Marilee H
    Marilee H Youngstown, OH
    I have to say something to those who worry about danger - possibly in the far future. Remember, anything you do has some element of danger. That's the nature of the world.
  • Eleanor P
    Eleanor P Brooksville, FL
    What a neat idea. I love pretty colored bottles. Freezing is not a problem where I live, but my yard man may be when he mows with his BIG mower and weed eats. I'm willing to risk it any how. My Mom used to collect colored bottles to place on glass
  • Andrea Pianga
    Andrea Pianga Wichita, KS
    So many negatives. I'm going to do it for my garden. I think it looks awesome. Right up my alley. The all different colored bottles really intrigue me. Thanks so much for sharing this....with pictures too.
  • Sandi M
    Sandi M Semmes, AL
    We did this around our garden. We have 7 dogs and never had a problem with them. We took out the garden to enlarge the patio so we don't use them now, but they will be back one day! And if your city has a recycling program, they will usually give you all
  • Sandi M
    Sandi M Semmes, AL
    Another pretty option for colored bottles is a bottle tree. We have a couple of those out in the yard and the sun shining through them is really pretty. And, according to old wives tales, they keep evil spirits away from your home! So far, so good.
  • Linda S
    Linda S Cunningham, TN
    vicky anderson there is a glass cutter made especially for cutting bottles. you can find it on line. works very good. lots of uses for it.
  • Robin G
    Robin G Ripley, OH
    I did this last summer..and all bottles made it through a cold Ohio winter. Our house sits on a river bank, and I put the bottles along the bank. The ground did freeze and thaw and some bottles "fell" out of the ground, but I just put them back in.
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    Wonderful, Robin....ours has been in place a few years now and is doing great! =)
  • Bellehse
    Bellehse Chattanooga, TN
    I used liquor bottles instead of wine so that I had more interesting shapes, as well as colors
  • Jan Barber
    Jan Barber Cedar City, UT
    Iv`e been collecting old bottles for a while now I had a bottle tree I thought the tree was dead so I hung bottles on it but when I started watering the flowers around it,it came back lol its a cherry tree so now I know what to do with my bottles I`ll
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    I'm sure the different shapes are really neat! =)
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    That will look great, Jan Barber !
  • Rachel Medina
    Rachel Medina Ogallala, NE
    More reason to drink wine:)
  • Maria J. Sousa
    Maria J. Sousa Portugal
    if they hold water that attracts butterflies, wouldn't they also be perfect for mosquito eggs?
Daune | Cottage in the Oaks

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!