Bottle Garden Edging

Crafty 07.28.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
We wanted a unique edging for a few of our garden beds in our, we used old, colored bottles. A bonus: when the little indentions in the top fill with water, they attract butterflies! #Love2Repurpose #SpringFever #Exterior
We collected bottles from friends, restaurants, etc. and used a bulb planter to make holes to stick the 'neck' of the bottle into. We have another bottle border in another area of our yard that we actually dug a small trench and planted the bottles much deeper. Both ways work very well.
The bottles are beautiful when the sun shines through the colors at different times of the day.
#Itching4Spring #Gardening #MyCurrentProject #DIY
Check out the how-to here:
Time: 1 Hour Difficulty: Easy
  • Bottle Garden Edging....#Itching4Spring
  • Edging the garden with recycled bottles...#Itching4Spring
  • Jan Barber
    Jan Barber Cedar City, UT
    Iv`e been collecting old bottles for a while now I had a bottle tree I thought the tree was dead so I hung bottles on it but when I started watering the flowers around it,it came back lol its a cherry tree so now I know what to do with my bottles I`ll
  • Bellehse
    Bellehse Chattanooga, TN
    I used liquor bottles instead of wine so that I had more interesting shapes, as well as colors
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    Wonderful, Robin....ours has been in place a few years now and is doing great! =)
  • Robin G
    Robin G Ripley, OH
    I did this last summer..and all bottles made it through a cold Ohio winter. Our house sits on a river bank, and I put the bottles along the bank. The ground did freeze and thaw and some bottles "fell" out of the ground, but I just put them back in.
  • Linda S
    Linda S Cunningham, TN
    vicky anderson there is a glass cutter made especially for cutting bottles. you can find it on line. works very good. lots of uses for it.
  • Sandi M
    Sandi M Semmes, AL
    Another pretty option for colored bottles is a bottle tree. We have a couple of those out in the yard and the sun shining through them is really pretty. And, according to old wives tales, they keep evil spirits away from your home! So far, so good.
  • Sandi M
    Sandi M Semmes, AL
    We did this around our garden. We have 7 dogs and never had a problem with them. We took out the garden to enlarge the patio so we don't use them now, but they will be back one day! And if your city has a recycling program, they will usually give you all
  • Andrea Pianga
    Andrea Pianga Wichita, KS
    So many negatives. I'm going to do it for my garden. I think it looks awesome. Right up my alley. The all different colored bottles really intrigue me. Thanks so much for sharing this....with pictures too.
  • Eleanor P
    Eleanor P Brooksville, FL
    What a neat idea. I love pretty colored bottles. Freezing is not a problem where I live, but my yard man may be when he mows with his BIG mower and weed eats. I'm willing to risk it any how. My Mom used to collect colored bottles to place on glass
  • Marilee H
    Marilee H Youngstown, OH
    I have to say something to those who worry about danger - possibly in the far future. Remember, anything you do has some element of danger. That's the nature of the world.
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    Love the idea of the bulb planter. We tried this out in a couple of places in our yard and now we need to decide whether to continue. They've been in for a year with no problems. I use weed killer around them so no need to use the weedeater close to
  • Vickie Anderson
    Vickie Anderson Saint Albans, WV
    We started using different colored wine bottles this way to fill in space under bird feeders so it is easier to clean up sunflower shells. We haven't found a good easy way though to cut bottles where tree roots are to make them shorter though. Any
  • Pam Ponto
    Pam Ponto Neenah, WI
    I am so doing this!!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    The eclectic bohemian nature of the bottle edge appeals to me for some designs however I have to say the safety issue would rule this out for me. It may hold up for some years, but eventually the glass will break, and maybe even after you have left that
  • Karen - The Graphics Fairy
    What a great idea! I love this!
Daune | Cottage in the Oaks

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post