Bottle Garden Edging

Garden ideas 04.07.15
We wanted a unique edging for a few of our garden beds in our backyard.....so, we used old, colored bottles. A bonus: when the little indentions in the top fill with water, they attract butterflies! #Love2Repurpose #SpringFever #Exterior
We collected bottles from friends, restaurants, etc. and used a bulb planter to make holes to stick the 'neck' of the bottle into. We have another bottle border in another area of our yard that we actually dug a small trench and planted the bottles much deeper. Both ways work very well.
The bottles are beautiful when the sun shines through the colors at different times of the day.
#Itching4Spring #Gardening #MyCurrentProject #DIY
Check out the how-to here:
Time: 1 Hour Difficulty: Easy
  • Bellehse
    Bellehse Chattanooga, TN
    I used liquor bottles instead of wine so that I had more interesting shapes, as well as colors
  • Jan Barber
    Jan Barber Cedar City, UT
    Iv`e been collecting old bottles for a while now I had a bottle tree I thought the tree was dead so I hung bottles on it but when I started watering the flowers around it,it came back lol its a cherry tree so now I know what to do with my bottles I`ll
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    I'm sure the different shapes are really neat! =)
  • Daune | Cottage in the Oaks
    That will look great, Jan Barber !
  • Rachel Medina
    Rachel Medina Ogallala, NE
    More reason to drink wine:)
  • Maria J. Sousa
    Maria J. Sousa Portugal
    if they hold water that attracts butterflies, wouldn't they also be perfect for mosquito eggs?
  • Sheryl Johnson
    Sheryl Johnson Highland, IL
    I think the small amount of water on the end of a bottle would dry up far too quickly to breed mosquitoes.
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    We have a wine bottle border and yes small amounts of water do collect in the ends. We've had a terrible time with mosquitoes this year so I've become somewhat of an expert on them thanks to our county vector control lady. They only need a teaspoon or
    • Maria J. Sousa
      Maria J. Sousa Portugal
      Janet F Thanks for the info. I really like the way they look. My garden is on very rocky ground so it would take forever to bury the bottles. For that reason alone I'm not going
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    We had the worst problem with them about a month ago so July - August which are dry months for us so any water in the bottle tops came from the sprinkler system. We've pretty much concluded that they aren't breeding on our property but either in the
  • Stacy @ anygirlcandoit.com
    I have been saving bottles to do this but was planning to cut them down for a border. But this got me thinking that it might be the right way to do it to keep my short legged basset hounds out of the flowers. How did you take the labels off? Always
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    We did not bother to remove them. Originally I was very careful trying to make them look good but with time and rain they pretty much remove themselves. If you aren't doing too large an area you could take the time to remove them but we didn't want to
  • Stacy @ anygirlcandoit.com
    Awesome! Thanks!
  • Elizabeth Dion
    Elizabeth Dion Hockley, TX
    The bottles with the deep indentations are great for adding tea lights to for night time entertaining if the beds are near the house!
  • Rachel
    rachel Springdale, PA
    stretch saran wrap over the bottom of the bottle so water doesnt collect. I used my bottles for a border around the compost pile.most bottles did fall over this winter but didnt last year
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    Ours haven't fallen over but then you can see from my picture that they are buried deeper than the original post on here. I might try putting Saran wrap on a few to see how long it would last before I invest the time it would take to do them all. I have
Daune | Cottage in the Oaks