Painting My Kitchen Island with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

household 07.30.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
We built our house during the 90's ode to oak all the cupboards, trim, windows and flooring are oak. I finally made the time to paint my island with chalk paint. I used Annie Sloan Chateau Grey and AS lacquer then I finished with Valspar glaze. I'm so happy with the results as it breaks up that sea of oak! So I have a new island for about $60! Next up... the countertop!
  • Back side of island before..
  • Side view...
  • Front view...they were much more faded and worn in person...
  • I added some trim on the back side before painting...I have corbels to add just haven't gotten them up yet.
  • I did light distressing...
  • I sealed with the lacquer versus waxing just because of the size and I wanted a very durable finish.
  • Close-up..I let the glaze settle in the grooves and it also hides any roller marks from the lacquer.
  • Finally got the corbels up!
  • Ijensen
    ijensen Altamont, UT
    Love the color and finished island!!! You did a wonderful job on it!!!
  • Laura
    Laura San Antonio, TX
    I am wanting to paint my countertops using Annie sloan paint. How should I seal them?
    • Lane Harkey
      Lane Harkey Burns, TN
      No, no, no. You can't do that. Paint the cabinets, but not counter tops. Love ASAP but it's not for that. Sorry.
  • Beatrice Tangeman
    Beatrice Tangeman Leander, TX
    Finally did mine to, it's very much like yours only in country blue, love the grey! Where did you find the corbels ?
  • NancyMaria
    NancyMaria Elko, NV
    I actually did paint my countertops and it turn out great! With Giani Granite paint at Originally it was a 90's white fabricated home laminate. Now I can't wait to do all the countertops in the house with a make-over.
  • NancyMaria
    NancyMaria Elko, NV
    3 colors put on with a sponge, you can't make a mistake. I will try to remember to do before and after in the kitchen this fall.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post