Painting My Kitchen Island with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

household 5 days ago
We built our house during the 90's ode to oak era...so all the cupboards, trim, windows and flooring are oak. I finally made the time to paint my island with chalk paint. I used Annie Sloan Chateau Grey and AS lacquer then I finished with Valspar glaze. I'm so happy with the results as it breaks up that sea of oak! So I have a new island for about $60! Next up... the countertop!
  • Back side of island before..
  • Side view...
  • Front view...they were much more faded and worn in person...
  • I added some trim on the back side before painting...I have corbels to add just haven't gotten them up yet.
  • I did light distressing...
  • I sealed with the lacquer versus waxing just because of the size and I wanted a very durable finish.
  • Close-up..I let the glaze settle in the grooves and it also hides any roller marks from the lacquer.
  • Finally got the corbels up!
  • Ijensen
    ijensen Altamont, UT
    Love the color and finished island!!! You did a wonderful job on it!!!
  • Laura
    Laura San Antonio, TX
    I am wanting to paint my countertops using Annie sloan paint. How should I seal them?
    • Lane Harkey
      Lane Harkey Burns, TN
      No, no, no. You can't do that. Paint the cabinets, but not counter tops. Love ASAP but it's not for that. Sorry.
  • Beatrice Tangeman
    Beatrice Tangeman Leander, TX
    Finally did mine to, it's very much like yours only in country blue, love the grey! Where did you find the corbels ?
  • Maria
    Maria Anacortes, WA
    I actually did paint my countertops and it turn out great! With Giani Granite paint at http://gianigranite.com/ Originally it was a 90's white fabricated home laminate. Now I can't wait to do all the countertops in the house with a make-over.
  • Maria
    Maria Anacortes, WA
    3 colors put on with a sponge, you can't make a mistake. I will try to remember to do before and after in the kitchen this fall.
CC