Easy Trick For A Sparkling Clean Pond

07.20.15
If you have struggled to keep the water in your little pond sparkling clear, this may be the trick you've been looking for. I have tried this on several different garden ponds, ranging in size from 450 to 1200 gallons, and it has worked every time. Murky water clears within a day or two (most clear within hours), and then stays clear for months.

For more details and other pond and garden ideas, visit me at http://www.empressofdirt.net

• This simple trick should clear up most murky little ponds within hours.
  • You need polyester quilt batting (used for making bed quilts).
  • Get a wire basket (this is a garbage basket from the dollar store). It has to be bigger than your pond pump.
  • Cut out the quilt batting and wrap it around the outside of the wire basket.
  • Insert the pond pump.
  • Secure the batting in place with a bungee cord. Submerge the entire unit in the pond.
  • The quilt batting on the outside of the basket filters the water before it goes through the pump.
  • You'll be able to see your fish again!
  • And the plants will thrive.

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/trickforcleanpondwater/

• Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    good idea! in the past I used old pantyhose over the water pump. i plan to have pond again later this year. we enjoyed to watch fish, frogs, dragonflies, etc to hang around the pond.
  • Modox
    Modox Heyburn, ID
    how often do you change the batting?
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Modox It depends on how gunky your pond gets. My pond needs the batting changed approx 2-3 times a year. You'll know it's time when the batting is so filled with gunk that water doesn't pass through as easily.
  • Molly
    Molly Salt Lake City, UT
    I took the fish out of the pond, scrubbed the sides with clear water and wiped them down. Cleaned the existing pump and filter. Installed the cage with polyester batting around it. Placed the filter inside the cage, filled the pond, put the fish
  • Luann
    Luann Sullivan, MO
    there's a black plastic tub in my deck with large rocks, goldfish and fountain. the pond is so dark you can't see the bottom. The fountain is getting cleaned out every week. I live on a gravel road with a lot of dust. I want to remove the goldfish,
  • John Williams
    Below is a link to a DIY water treatment system designed around a vase fountain. Works great. The design is maintenance free. Its been running for 1 year with no issues.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa