Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Fish ponds 7 days ago

Easy Trick For A Sparkling Clean Pond

If you have struggled to keep the water in your little pond sparkling clear, this may be the trick you've been looking for. I have tried this on several different garden ponds, ranging in size from 450 to 1200 gallons, and it has worked every time. Murky water clears within a day or two (most clear within hours), and then stays clear for months.

For more details and other pond and garden ideas, visit me at http://www.empressofdirt.net

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/trickforcleanpondwater/

38 Comments Displaying 16 of 38 comments | See Previous
  • Bobbi Woolwine
    Melissa, just a quick note to let you know that the quilt batting is saving my tiny tadpoles!! :) I and my husband cleaned the pond out with the shop vac. We saw tads the lower we got so I filled a couple of buckets with the pond water and we started
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Camm
    We are attempting to build a circulating pond around our patio. Love this idea for the filter. Any suggestions what is best to use for a liner? The pond is 3' wide 3' deep and 150' long. Tried black plastic, had lots of air bubbles, couldn't get 'em
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Camm I only ever use prefabricated pond forms and liners made for ponds.
    • Cheryl Broege
      Cheryl Broege Machesney Park, IL
      Camm We used EPDM rubber. Have had it our pond for 14 years so far. No problems with the fish or plants. Have baby koi and goldfish yearly also hundreds of polywogs and frogs.
  • Camm
    What are the best types of plants to have in my pond for fish & helping with keeping it clean? Also, If I have plants in the pond, do I still need to feed the fish or will they survive on plants alone?
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Camm It's best to go to a reliable plant nursery with some speciality in aquatic plants and find out the options for your climate. A circulating pump with some sort of biofilter like I've devised
  • Frankie
    Frankie Lafayette, CO
    My husband had this very idea but, instead of wrapping the batting around the pump he put it in a 5 gallon bucket with an inlet and outlet feeding into the pond. Worked great until the batting became saturated and then the outflow did not work fast
  • Shon
    Shon Indianapolis, IN
    Hello Melissa,

I read and saw your post on quilt batting and I would like to try it. I have a fairly large pond and I'm not sure how to do

• Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Hi @Shon, You're right, your pond may be too big for this method because your pump may be too powerful to work with the quilt batting. However, the principle is the same: if you can make the water pass through some sort of material before reaching the
  • Sheila Reh Bolhuis
    Did you have to take the basket and batting out and clean it and if so how often do you do this? Also do you think that an metal egg basket would work for this, I'm asking because the gaps in the metal are much larger than that of the garbage basket that
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Sheila Reh Bolhuis The purpose of the basket is to allow space around the pump. You don't want the batting up against it. The batting filters the water before it reaches the pump intake. Anything sturdy that won't break down in the water should be fine.
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    good idea! in the past I used old pantyhose over the water pump. i plan to have pond again later this year. we enjoyed to watch fish, frogs, dragonflies, etc to hang around the pond.
  • Modox
    Modox Heyburn, ID
    how often do you change the batting?
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Modox It depends on how gunky your pond gets. My pond needs the batting changed approx 2-3 times a year. You'll know it's time when the batting is so filled with gunk that water doesn't pass through as easily.
  • Molly
    Molly Salt Lake City, UT
    I took the fish out of the pond, scrubbed the sides with clear water and wiped them down. Cleaned the existing pump and filter. Installed the cage with polyester batting around it. Placed the filter inside the cage, filled the pond, put the fish
Empress of Dirt - Melissa