• Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    good idea! in the past I used old pantyhose over the water pump. i plan to have pond again later this year. we enjoyed to watch fish, frogs, dragonflies, etc to hang around the pond.
  • Sheila Reh Bolhuis
    Did you have to take the basket and batting out and clean it and if so how often do you do this? Also do you think that an metal egg basket would work for this, I'm asking because the gaps in the metal are much larger than that of the garbage basket that
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Sheila Reh Bolhuis The purpose of the basket is to allow space around the pump. You don't want the batting up against it. The batting filters the water before it reaches the pump intake. Anything sturdy that won't break down in the water should be fine.
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Hi @Shon, You're right, your pond may be too big for this method because your pump may be too powerful to work with the quilt batting. However, the principle is the same: if you can make the water pass through some sort of material before reaching the
  • Shon
    Shon Indianapolis, IN
    Hello Melissa,

I read and saw your post on quilt batting and I would like to try it. I have a fairly large pond and I'm not sure how to do

• Frankie
    Frankie Lafayette, CO
    My husband had this very idea but, instead of wrapping the batting around the pump he put it in a 5 gallon bucket with an inlet and outlet feeding into the pond. Worked great until the batting became saturated and then the outflow did not work fast
  • Cammie.m.vail
    What are the best types of plants to have in my pond for fish & helping with keeping it clean? Also, If I have plants in the pond, do I still need to feed the fish or will they survive on plants alone?
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Camm It's best to go to a reliable plant nursery with some speciality in aquatic plants and find out the options for your climate. A circulating pump with some sort of biofilter like
  • Cammie.m.vail
    We are attempting to build a circulating pond around our patio. Love this idea for the filter. Any suggestions what is best to use for a liner? The pond is 3' wide 3' deep and 150' long. Tried black plastic, had lots of air bubbles, couldn't get 'em
  • Bobbi Woolwine
    Bobbi Woolwine Edenton, NC
    Melissa, just a quick note to let you know that the quilt batting is saving my tiny tadpoles!! :) I and my husband cleaned the pond out with the shop vac. We saw tads the lower we got so I filled a couple of buckets with the pond water and we started
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Glad to hear you found something that works!
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Hi Empress of Dirt - Melissa I am reporting on my success stopping the floating plants and the baby fish from getting in the skimmer. First I removed the skimmer door and the
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Thanks TJ , and let us know if it works for you too!
  • TJ
    TJ Andover, MN
    thanks so much for this fantastic tip. Since our ponds are small, we don't want to spend the money on an expensive filtering system. I guess we will be heading to the store to get some quilt batting this weekend.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Empress of Dirt - Melissa I think we are talking 2 different issues. Your quilt batting is perfect for protecting the pump. My problem was floating plants in the skimmer. Today
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Sherrie S I've only ever tried polyester quilt batting (with great results). It allows complete water flow while filtering the water on its way to the pump. You can certainly let us know how your experiment goes!
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Empress of Dirt - Melissa today I will try putting a very porous product called matala mat on the outside of the skimmer. I need it on the outside because floating plants
Empress of Dirt - Melissa