Hometalk.com

Easy Trick For A Sparkling Clean Pond

If you have struggled to keep the water in your little pond sparkling clear, this may be the trick you've been looking for. I have tried this on several different garden ponds, ranging in size from 450 to 1200 gallons, and it has worked every time. Murky water clears within a day or two (most clear within hours), and then stays clear for months.

For more details and other pond and garden ideas, visit me at http://www.empressofdirt.net

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/trickforcleanpondwater/

24 Comments Displaying 15 of 24 comments | See Previous
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Empress of Dirt - Melissa I have had my pond for over 9 years - I have a good bead filter that saves a lot of work but your idea is outstanding & I will be using it in my skimmer which will solve a problem I've had. Thank you so much.
  • Becky Avon, CT
    For 13 years I have run a homemade biological filter and always have clear water. The secret is plants growing in the flowing water. You would be surprised at how plants grow feeding on the fish nutrients. Remove most of the soil from the roots of your
  • Sharon H Winamac, IN
    @Empress of Dirt-Melissa I used the method you described of wrapping the pond filter in the polyester batting. My filter is inside a plastic box filled with balls to catch the algae. I wrapped the exterior of the box with the batting and bungie corded
  • @Sharon H Can you set a brick or rock on top of it?
  • Sharon H Winamac, IN
    Thanks, Melissa, for the suggestion of putting a brick on top; I don't know why I didn't think of this! I used two brick with holes in them to allow for water flow, and it worked great! I took the batting off and washed it out a bit before putting it
  • Sharon H I'm glad it's working for you. :)
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Empress of Dirt - Melissa today I will try putting a very porous product called matala mat on the outside of the skimmer. I need it on the outside because floating plants continue to get to
  • Sherrie S I've only ever tried polyester quilt batting (with great results). It allows complete water flow while filtering the water on its way to the pump. You can certainly let us know how your experiment goes!
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Empress of Dirt - Melissa I think we are talking 2 different issues. Your quilt batting is perfect for protecting the pump. My problem was floating plants in the skimmer. Today is an
  • TJ Andover, MN
    thanks so much for this fantastic tip. Since our ponds are small, we don't want to spend the money on an expensive filtering system. I guess we will be heading to the store to get some quilt batting this weekend.
  • Thanks TJ , and let us know if it works for you too!
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Hi Empress of Dirt - Melissa I am reporting on my success stopping the floating plants and the baby fish from getting in the skimmer. First I removed the skimmer door and the used a 1 1/2"
  • Glad to hear you found something that works!
  • Melissa, just a quick note to let you know that the quilt batting is saving my tiny tadpoles!! :) I and my husband cleaned the pond out with the shop vac. We saw tads the lower we got so I filled a couple of buckets with the pond water and we started