Fence Board Backsplash

Backsplashes 09.22.15
#BeforeandAfter #favoriteroom #Love2Repurpose #Recycle #BeforeandAfter
#BudgetUpgrade #ReclaimedWood #BuildIt #ReuseIt
What can you do with an old stack of wood? With my creative DIY hubby in charge you won't be able to believe the transformation from old fence boards to beach cottage feel with a totally unique backsplash.
For more details on the process come on over to the blog and check it out!
  • The finished product.
  • Stack of old fence boards.
  • Old peel and stick tile backsplash.
  • Love these whimsical canisters!
  • Add a pop of color to bring out the texture of the wood.
  • What's next? Hopefully the countertops!
  • Linda Hanks
    Linda Hanks Dayton, TX
    I LOVE THIS!!!!!!
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Blue Kelly I love that: "grease splashes just make the wood better!"
  • Blue Kelly
    Blue Kelly Durango, CO
    ive lived in a bunch of funky places and i have done a similar back splash using black paper and bundles of staves, which are quarter inch by inch strips of wood for about 10 to 15 bucks a bundle. some have points on one end, some dont, but they are
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Fannie D thanks for the info. Great ideas. I'd love to see your wall when you get finished.
  • Fannie D
    Fannie D Dover, AR
    i have used old wood & rough cut cedar for many many projects over the yrs. Cedar never has a bug or a problem. Most of my closets are cedar lined. Have a couple of rooms completely done in rough cut cedar. If your wood is really old (fence or barn wood)
  • Terry S
    Terry S Fort White, FL
    i love this as iove the old look and we have a modern southern cracker house this would look great on the back wall of the side counter.. thanks
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    As far as grease splatters, I guess I rarely cook with oil because it's never been a problem either on the wall or previous backsplash. For the fence boards I will just use soap and water and see how it works. As far as bugs, the wood was sanded
  • Trish F
    Trish F Kansas City, MO
    I like it....you did a great job. Did you just cut a whole around the elect sockets?
  • Ellora - Creatively Southern
    This looks great! I love the look and it's outside the box idea. And if anyone's worried about using old wood, you can always use new wood and weather it yourself! :)
  • Jane Volk
    Jane Volk Lexington, KY
    Looks cute but how are you going to clean it? Old wood lying around, what bugs laid eggs in it that will hatch in in the kitchen? How much bird poop is left in the cracks in the wood. Its not that it works OK for you but you're putting it out for others
  • Barbara Richard
    Barbara Richard Manassas, VA
    It is a great look, but I'd be concerned with the fact that prior to 2004 pressure treated lumber contained arsenic. (The new wood is still not good, but better) I realize you are not cooking or eating on it, but as it continues to decay (it isn't
  • Kay Anderson
    Kay Anderson Kankakee, IL
    I love this new back splash, but worried about grease flying and getting into the boards. I would love to do this in my kitchen. I am an old country girl.
  • Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Amanda M From my husband: Good question, but I didn't see the need to seal these at all. We get very little abuse on the back splash area, plus this wood had been out in the
  • Amanda M
    Amanda M Bethlehem, GA
    Did you seal the wood with anything to keep it moisture and stain resistant?
  • Naomisatterwhite
    naomisatterwhite Frankfort, KY
    looks good
Marty's Musings

Search Feedback