Hometalk.com

Cleaning 03.21.14

Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner

I love this recipe for Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner. With only three ingredients it is easy to use and costs only pennies per serving. I used it and my toilets were shining.

Removing toxins from my home without using chemicals is important, so this non toxic homemade toilet bowl cleaner is a winner. For those of you who don't like the smell of vinegar the Melaleuca essential oil will not only mask the smell but will also serve as a sanitizer.

I highly recommend this do it yourself recipe for Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner. I just added the baking soda, Melaleuca or Tee-Tree Essential Oil and then the vinegar and let it soak for about 10 minutes. I followed up by scrubbing it with my toilet bowl brush.

1/2 - 3/4 cup baking soda

8 - 10 drops tea-tree or melaleuca essential oil

1/2 - 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar

Pour Baking Soda directly into the toilet boil add oil, then vinegar - in this order.

To see more: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2013/02/homemade-toilet-bowl-cleaner/

181 Comments Displaying 15 of 181 comments | See Previous
  • Karen Rossman Clark Brookings, OR
    I have been using just the baking soda so was HAPPY to find a possibly better combination here!
  • Beverly Bloomfield, CT
    Agreed, however, can't see throwing it into a toilet. Too many other ways to clean and vinegar plus baking soda will do the job without tea tree oil.
  • Will this work on tubs?
    • kathy hodges Harned, KY
      Ellen M On my tub I use vinegar, dawn and some bking soda. It does a fantastic job. Made my tub sparkle.
    • GG Sisseton, SD
      Kathy hodges Can you tell me what amounts of each? Do you just mix them together and use as a paste?
  • Barbara Meyer South Jordan, UT
    I still like the vinegar and dawn mixture on all hard water rings, spots etc.. Equal amounts, sit 5-10 minutes, the dawn keeps the vinegar sitting where you put it. Shower doors, toilet rings, less stinky and not toxic. : )
  • Marie Adams Kemp, TX
    I understand your thought, but we don't wash our hands in vinegar or bleach, so it makes no sense to me to bleach the toilet. We eat with our hands, but we don't eat from the toilet.....soap we wash our hands or body with should be good enough.
  • Inez Saint Peters, MO
    How many denture tablets do you use?
    • Karen Cypret Washburn, MO
      @ Inez I use 2 and let it sit for a while then when it it is dissolved, I swish and flush.
  • Beverly Bloomfield, CT
    I have bought it at a 'health food' store.
  • Thanks for the info!
  • Louise Norcross, GA
    I often see essential oil as an ingredient. Exactly what is this and where does one buy it? And what's the cost? Is it only for a nice scent?
    • Jacqueline Partaledis Daytona Beach, FL
      Louise There's a fabulous stand up at Pendergast Flea Market that sell a large number of essential oils at reasonable prices.
    • GG Sisseton, SD
      Louise, I do online shopping with Alice.com. I found some essential oils there for a VERY decent price. Other place are more expensive (although I don't know about the flea market that