Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

What flowers could replace impatiens since they were stricken with some disease last year in Connecticut.

03.06.13
Impatiens won't even be sold in Connecticut this year. I don't know what to plant to replace them! I've been planting impatiens for 40 years and my grandmother had them in her garden when I was a teenager. Does anyone have any idea on what would replace impatiens? Thanks Linda
11 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 11 of 11 comments
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    You could plant New Guinea impatiens, Linda. They are not affected by the downy mildew that has become such a problem with old-fashioned impatiens. Begonias would be another alternative.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Lawn Pro
    Lawn Pro Virginia Beach, VA
    Vincas,begonia,Mexican petunias. Some times you need to rotate your selection

Due to mildew,the next pet are my favorite because every morning you have fresh new flowers

• H.C. Lawn
    H.C. Lawn Thomaston, CT
    I liked the Purple wave petunia or Geraniums
  • Becky J
    Becky J Troy, IL
    I don't know what I would do if I couldn't plant impatiens. Those are my go-to flower for the front yard.
  • Gail Salminen
    Linda B Douglass is right the New Guinea impatiens are a good contender. Have you considered doing some nicotiniea and allysum. The allysum may also reseed itself for next season. Both of
  • Linda B
    Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Hi, Gail, I'm not a big nicotiana fan and allysum is nice but so small. New Guinea impatiens will probably be my pick as I also gave up on petunias. They always ended up with all greens halfway through the summer. Thanks for helping.
  • Linda B
    Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Good luck, Becky. I hope the disease for impatiens doesn't hit your area. That's just what I planted also - all over. I had forgotten about vincas, so I guess I'll go with those and New Guinea impatiens along with wax begonias, geraniums, and other
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    I have the same problem and will be using some of the new pretty colors of coleus and begonias this year,
  • Susan
    Susan Stockbridge, GA
    have you heard of sunpatiens? I planted them last summer. Although they are marketed as a full sun plant I don't recommend it. They love partial shade and bloom all summer! I will be planting them again!
  • Donna Dixson
    Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    You also might consider Torenia and Browailia, not as much color selection but a good shady show can be had from them combining them with some of the great coleus. Balsam is another great shade annual color plant, which is actually an old fashioned
  • Becky J
    Becky J Troy, IL
    Four Season, had to google that one, Balsam. Our flower shops around here don't carry that. We only get to have the ole standbys. I am always excited when I find something new.
Linda B

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing