Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How To Grow Amazing Tomatoes This Year!

Without a doubt - tomatoes are the most important crop we grow in our garden.

In fact, we use ourhome-grown tomatoes and tomato based products nearly 365 days a year. In thesummertime - we eat them right off the vine, in salads, hamburgers, sauces andmore. In the fall and winter months, we enjoy the tomato juice, vegetable soup,chili, salsa, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, and ketchup that we have canned orfrozen from the summer's bounty.

Here are some valuablehints, tips and tricks we have learned over the years to grow a bumper crop oftomatoes:

1. The When, HowAnd Where Of Planting Tomatoes:

WHEN TO PLANT: Tomatoes are just about the last thing that getplanted in our garden. Tomatoes love warm soil and warm weather. Ifyou plant them too early in your growing season, they can really struggle. It'snot just about preventing frost. Cold, damp spring temperatures can make themmore susceptible to disease, rot and lethargic growth. Here in this partof Ohio, most of our garden goes in around the 15th of May. If its niceand warm out - the tomatoes go in too. But if it's still a little chilly anddamp - we wait until late May to allow the soil to

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/03/05/how-to-grow-amazing-tomatoes-this-year/

90 Comments Displaying 15 of 90 comments | See Previous
  • Barb Jennings
    Barb Jennings Elgin, IL
    When planting a garden, or annuals my grandmother had a tip.....wait till Mother's Day. Mother Earth does her best work then.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Karin Graham
    Karin Graham Knoxville, IA
    boy i did learn a lot about tomatoes on here thank you , a german in iowa
  • Joe S
    Joe S New York, NY
    Fantastic tips/instructions! Thank you!
  • Brenda Bee
    My advice is to plant your garden when it comfortable enough to sit on the soil in the middle of night with your bare butt. Your seeds and bedding plants like tomatoes will be happier when they are put in the soil. And make sure you have a high enough
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    You can "cheat" a bit, since most of us find it hard to wait. I lay black plastic over the row where the tomatoes are going to be planted and let it sit there for several days. Use an old meat thermometer to measure the soil temp. When it get warmed up,
  • Gerri
    Gerri Davison, MI
    Has anyone used the earth boxes for their tomatoes?
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    I have a disabled friend that uses them, Gerri. Her's are mounted on a platform so she doesn't have to try and bend. They are wonderful and she gets great production from them. There are several DYI sites that give instructions on how to build homemade
  • Aron Garfinkel
    Aron Garfinkel Atlanta, GA
    Good advice.
  • Linda Haudrich
    Linda Haudrich Belleville, IL
    I have planted tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, & cucumbers. I have planted this for a few years. This year I decided to add some compost when it was tilled up, now it does not seem to be growing as good. Can you add too much compost...I bought the organic
  • Elaine Simmons
    Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    I don't know what would be causing the tomatoes not to do so well with extra compost but I am sure you can get too much but then I think you would burn the plant. Did you plant them in the same spot as you usually do? That might be the problem. You
  • Jim G
    Jim G Suffolk, VA
    ??? I have a small garden we grew this spring.... ALL with LOTS of BIG leaves and looked like they will be doing GREAT, BUT...... Cukes (starting to fruit, and just found lots more starting), Tomatoes (plants getting big, no real flowers or fruit yet!),
  • Elaine Simmons
    Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    Did you add nitrogen to your soil? If not, maybe you should have it tested. Nitrogen will sometimes give you all sorts of green but not bear veggies. Or maybe it is too early for your area? Are the neighbors getting any fruit yet?
  • Jim G
    Jim G Suffolk, VA
    Elaine: I don't know any neighbors with a garden. Most are retired and you would THINK they would plant gardens, but none I know of do! Only flowering plants. I did NOT add Nitrogen, BUT so ironic you posted this as one of my To-Do list items is buying a
  • Rebecca Berg
    Rebecca Berg Saint Louis, MO
    I use epsom salts every 10 days or so it makes everything produce blooms.
  • Veronica Ronnie Taylor
    How much epsom salt ?

Thanks Veronica Taylor

Old World Garden Farms

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!