Tried-and-True Shrubs & Perennials

garden 10.21.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Over my gardening years plants have come and gone, but a few have proven themselves for the long-haul and get planted in every garden I've had. They include evergreens, flowering shrubs, and the toughest perennials that truly do come back every year.

These lists of my favorites are not unusual, hard to find, or expensive. I can't justify spending large amounts just to have the newest or most unusual plants. I look for beauty, longevity, and low initial cost all wrapped up in the easiest care possible. And these all fit the bill. They include:

• The easiest, no-fail, tried-and-true shrubs & perennials.
  • Spirea made the list for sure - it blooms in sun or partial shade!
  • I can never have too many hydrangeas. Sigh. (No, clematis didn't make the list - I grow them, but they are fussy for me!)

To see more:

• Ruth Helcamp
    Ruth Helcamp Cohoes, NY
    I agree with this list....and i have most of them on the list. Here is one of my pink spirea bushes..btw,,loaded all day long with bumble bees.
  • Kathy Haines
    Kathy Haines Franklin, NH
    Hosta for shade or part sun and peony for big impact. I wish they bloomed longer though.
    Betsy Charlotte, NC
    Butterfly bush
  • Nancy
    Nancy Acworth, GA
    Can any one tell me why my new endless summer Hydrangeas the leaves are turning brown, and some have holes in the leaves. I have not planted these hydrangeas yet they are still in the pots they came in. Thank you.
  • Nancy
    Nancy Acworth, GA
    I also have a large Hosta that is growing in a large pot. It was beautiful, but the leaves are turning yellow and it's not the deep green color it was some the leaves have holes in them with Brown spots on the leaves. Please help. Thank you.
    • Jami @ An Oregon Cottage
      Jami @ An Oregon Cottage Pleasant Hill, OR
      Nancy Both of these issues sound like they're needed fertilizer and are maybe root-bound and just tired of being in the pots. That would be my guess. The holes are from a bug
Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post