Hometalk.com

03.29.14

Family Room Reveal - Making What You Have Work

Decorating after a move into a new home can really be a challenge. What worked in your last home, does not always work as well in your new home. This is what happened to us.

We have a big wool traditional style rug that we love and it looked great in our last home with dark wood floors. Put that same rug with lighter wood floors and it looks very different.

Determined to make it work I pulled the colors from the rug (black, ivory, red and green) and used them throughout the room. I love lots of texture and shine in a room so I also added several baskets, silver accessories, weathered pieces, burlap and linen.

Hope you will stop by my blog for the full tour, lots of pictures to share.

To see more: http://www.theendearinghome.com/2013/03/06/family-room-reveal/

39 Comments Displaying 15 of 39 comments | See Previous
  • Trisha D Glen Ellyn, IL
    LOVE this. Great job. simple changes made a HUGE difference.
  • Darcy Green Bay, WI
    The room look so pulled together, I love it. I had to laugh because in my kitchen I have a wall with several color swatches painted on it. My house is very different from the last one also and I am finding I need to re-think my color palette...... I
  • Lori McKenna Solana Beach, CA
    The buffalo print drapes really pull it all together. I've been fighting my rug for 7 years, trying to make my new cottage sofas and accessories match with it. I finally gave in and am slowly pulling out accent colors from the rug in all the greens and
  • Thelma H Watertown, NY
    I have not sat in my living room in months, I dislike everything. I LOVE what you did here. The rug is real close to mine. I would never have thought to use the buffalo check fabric for curtains. I can not wait to get started on my room now. Thank you so
  • Amy Rohde Port Deposit, MD
    Absolutely Gorj! So pretty in every way and just the right amount of each special color!
  • Anne T Atlanta, GA
    I Love everything in this room!Especially the curtains. These are the colors in my livingroom, I am soo copying the curtains and pillows!
  • Linda North East, PA
    Absolutely love everything you done to make the room so warm and inviting. Outstanding job on pulling together colors and textures.
  • Thanks so much everyone!
  • I have similar issues, that's why I noticed that, LOL!
  • Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Yes me too Christa V and mine is the worst.....so I understand it all. She did a beautiful job and I too am on the bandwagon about the Buffalo Gingham drapery panels. I wanted them for my bedroom in a pale blue, but could not find AND/OR afford them, so
  • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    stunning and inviting.. it says family gathering spot..... grab a cup of tea, book and relax,,we are redoing out living room sooon.. and have looked at the color of paint..great choice..
  • Sharon Palos Heights, IL
    Sharon Russell I love this room. You did an excellent job of reusing and reinventing!

I hope you don't mind if I copy some of your ideas. Absolutely

• Cindy Sumner, WA
    Beautiful!
  • Lisa New Hartford, CT
    Absolutely stunning! I love how welcoming the room looks!
  • Debbie Chapman Overland Park, KS
    Great job!