Hometalk.com

05.06.12

I have an old staircase in my home and to dress it up, I'm thinking of tiling the risers.

Since they don't get stepped on, but likely bumped by feet, what is the best way to prepare them to hold the tile?
21 Comments Displaying 15 of 21 comments | See Previous
  • Painted canvas stair risers work great! http://canvasworksfloorcloths.com
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    to throw yet another option into the mix...tin ceiling type panels...these are flex resistant and could be easily attached with some construction adhesive..and if you need the remove them the substrate will clean up.
  • KMS and Kevin, I couldn't live with it either. . . but that's why there are 57 flavors!!!!
  • Laurie B Brattleboro, VT
    All purpose Adhesive OR Tile Adhesive & use 4x4 Tiles , easy to work with !
  • Natalie W Mckeesport, PA
    Thank you for all the help and awesome ideas... Walls treat, I love those stenciled steps .... I just don't think paint is enough to make these old stairs look any good, and if I did that much work on them, I'd want it to be permanent....those are
  • I love Lisa's pic of painted canvas- could do any design and switch it out when you get tired of it.
  • Harold M Franklin, NC
    KMS I like your idea, but how do you deal with the edges of the metal tiles? Make a trim?
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Harold...if they are cut straight and true the tops and bottoms will be against the tread and the underside of the tread overhang. the sides could be bent over or a small piece of molding could be applied if the risers have "exposed" edges.
  • Natalie W Mckeesport, PA
    I like the ceiling panel idea! Thanks everyone!
  • Diane B Dublin, GA
    I like the stenciling best of all.. it would not cause me to fall up the stairs, I hope. Very nice. Like he strips, but would cause visual dilemma. Good luck.
  • Judith O Glenview, IL
    Love the 1st pic, looks like inlay.
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    we are replacing the treads on ours with hard wood (ash) and facing the risers with 1/4" plywood stained to match the treads. It's an enclosed staircase. It used to have cheap carpet. I have already removed that. I tried to talk my husband into tiles or
  • Rosemary N Klamath Falls, OR
    These are really cool! Wish my house had stairs....
  • Kathy R Lockport, IL
    Someone must have a lot of time on their hands...
  • I think it would be cool to make them look like books stacked on each other.
  • Likes

Amy N Rose G Kathy C Donna K