I have an old staircase in my home and to dress it up, I'm thinking of tiling the risers.

Since they don't get stepped on, but likely bumped by feet, what is the best way to prepare them to hold the tile?
  • Marissa H
    Marissa H Dundee, NY
    I think it would be cool to make them look like books stacked on each other.
  • Kathy R
    Kathy R Lockport, IL
    Someone must have a lot of time on their hands...
  • Rosemary N
    Rosemary N Klamath Falls, OR
    These are really cool! Wish my house had stairs....
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    we are replacing the treads on ours with hard wood (ash) and facing the risers with 1/4" plywood stained to match the treads. It's an enclosed staircase. It used to have cheap carpet. I have already removed that. I tried to talk my husband into tiles or
  • Judith O
    Judith O Glenview, IL
    Love the 1st pic, looks like inlay.
  • Diane B
    Diane B Dublin, GA
    I like the stenciling best of all.. it would not cause me to fall up the stairs, I hope. Very nice. Like he strips, but would cause visual dilemma. Good luck.
  • Natalie W
    Natalie W Mckeesport, PA
    I like the ceiling panel idea! Thanks everyone!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Harold...if they are cut straight and true the tops and bottoms will be against the tread and the underside of the tread overhang. the sides could be bent over or a small piece of molding could be applied if the risers have "exposed" edges.
  • Harold M
    Harold M Franklin, NC
    KMS I like your idea, but how do you deal with the edges of the metal tiles? Make a trim?
  • SheilaG, Plum Doodles
    SheilaG, Plum Doodles Simpsonville, SC
    I love Lisa's pic of painted canvas- could do any design and switch it out when you get tired of it.
  • Natalie W
    Natalie W Mckeesport, PA
    Thank you for all the help and awesome ideas... Walls treat, I love those stenciled steps .... I just don't think paint is enough to make these old stairs look any good, and if I did that much work on them, I'd want it to be permanent....those are
Natalie W
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback