Crafting is my joy, which I started soon after we moved to the States around 2 1/2 years ago (back to the States for my hubby, but first time for me). But to be honest, my first year crafting wasn't very pleasant. Especially wreath making...which was totally a different animal for me. After my first wreath for Halloween 2013, which was a great disappointment for me, I didn't want to ever try making another one again. But last summer finding a full tutorial on Joann's web site, I managed to make a 'somewhat acceptable' wreath.
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $0 Difficulty: Easy
Since the score for the "Wreath vs Handan" match was 1-1, I decided to make a Christmas wreath this year. But seeing so many wreath styles out there, I just couldn't decide on what I wanted to do...until I saw this in a Ballard Designs catalog!
With fingers crossed for another 'somewhat acceptable' wreath, I started gathering the materials: two pre-lit noble fir garlands, one 22-inch noble fir wreath which I found at Put & Take last year, one set of mini Christmas lights, and four wire hangers. Since mine wasn't going to be a fresh wreath, I didn't want it to be too plain. To spice it up a bit, I collected some pine cones from the woods and found a ribbon, some faux berries and a Dollar Store cardinal in my crafts room.
Note: If you are planning to do a similar project and don't have the garlands in hand, then I recommend you to wait until next year to do it, because at this time of year, the garland prices spike. But the day after Christmas, all the shops tend to have sales up to 70%. This is how I bought my two garlands from Bed Bath and Beyond. A 6 foot pre-lit garland (2-pack) dropped down to $19.99. Besides I had 20% discount coupon so I only paid $16 for two garlands.
First I started making the wreath forms for the letters 'J' and 'Y' using wire hangers. For this step I had to use pliers, as the wire hangers I chose were rather on the strong side, so they were a bit harder to bend. When I started doing the 'Y', I finally had enough of the strong wire hangers, so I changed them with a plastic coated wire hangers. Even though it was slightly thinner wire, it was still strong enough to hold the shape, and much easier to bend.
It looks like I nailed this one pretty good!
Since I ended up with a better than 'somewhat acceptable' wreath and nobody was calling it names, I found the courage to take it a step further: I wanted to make a frame for it... a frame that would bring some neutral color to the whole thing and give it a wall-art look.
And with the lights on...
I love how it hangs over the mantel!
I am so proud of myself! Now I think I can call it a match with "Wreath vs Handan."
If you are interested in Christmas and winter projects, click here to see more Christmas and winter projects from The Navage Patch. Thanks for reading and happy crafting! Handan, xo
Materials I used for this project:
- Chicken wire
To see more: http://thenavagepatch.com/wrea-thinking-my-j-o-y/