Paper Bag Floors

floor Yesterday
If you are in need of new flooring but don't have much money to spend (or even if you do) then this fits the bill! I created this floor out of brown paper, Elmers glue, stain and polyurethane. It was easy to do (albeit time consuming) and is very durable. This room is 10 X 12 and cost about $80, but future rooms will cost about $30 since I have plenty of leftover supplies. Click through to read the tutorial: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/...
  • A close up of the finished floor, it almost looks like old leather.
  • I did the whole 10 X 12 room for about $80, but any future room will cost about $30. That's cheap flooring!
  • Gluing the paper down using a 50% Elmers glue %50 water mixture. This part took forever.
  • Here is the paper going on, this is about 10 hours in (spread over multiple days).
  • Mopping on the stain.
  • After 12 coats of poly! I know people say this all the time, but it honestly look much better in real life. It just looks shiny in the pictures.

To see more: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/paper-bag-floors-a-tutorial/

• The Robin's Nest
    The Robin's Nest Warner Robins, GA
    I have done this treatment in two spaces in my shop, two "booths" that have linoleum tile underneath. virtually no prep except a light cleaning. The first space was completed approximately in November 2012. The space was approximately 12 x 11 and it took a quart of stain (one application) and I only put down two coats of poly. I used elmers glue in about a 50 /50 dilution with water and regular paint brushes for the stain and poly. I waited one day in between each step, glue dried overnight, next day I stained, waited til next day applied one coat of poly and final coat one day later. Furniture was placed into the space after about 24 hours without any problem. So far it's held up well (this is in our main booth in the front of the store, so it gets a good bit of foot traffic every day). We get ALOT of compliments on this flooring, I'd love to be able to do the whole place!! but alas 6.000 sq ft on my bad old knees, would probably put me in the grave ;)
Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection