Paper Bag Floors

13 hours ago
If you are in need of new flooring but don't have much money to spend (or even if you do) then this fits the bill! I created this floor out of brown paper, Elmers glue, stain and polyurethane. It was easy to do (albeit time consuming) and is very durable. This room is 10 X 12 and cost about $80, but future rooms will cost about $30 since I have plenty of leftover supplies. Click through to read the tutorial: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/p...
  • A close up of the finished floor, it almost looks like old leather.
  • I did the whole 10 X 12 room for about $80, but any future room will cost about $30. That's cheap flooring!
  • Gluing the paper down using a 50% Elmers glue %50 water mixture. This part took forever.
  • Here is the paper going on, this is about 10 hours in (spread over multiple days).
  • Mopping on the stain.
  • After 12 coats of poly! I know people say this all the time, but it honestly look much better in real life. It just looks shiny in the pictures.

To see more: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/paper-bag-floors-a-tutorial/

• Gi
    Gi Los Angeles, CA
    Can you do this on a wooden coffee table?
  • Deborah Griffin
    Deborah Griffin Red Wing, MN
    Rosin paper works well too!
  • Bjhgran25
    bjhgran25 Chatham, IL
    I have to try this, we just did some remodeling and I have a walkin closet, I need to put in some flooring. Looks good!!!
  • Joyce Archer
    Joyce Archer Matador, TX
    Martinigal, It is lighter, I worked setting on the floor, tearing the paper and gluing~~The polyurethane makes the different in colors...I didn't crumple the paper and do not use the print and seams make good next to wall for straight tears. i did not do
  • Joyce Archer
    Joyce Archer Matador, TX
    Kathleen Herman, I have never used dye. I have only used differed kind brown paper bags, they look like flagstone, tare into differents sizes and shapes.. some bags are heavier than others. I did not use any with print on it, only plain brown. I did buy
Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection