Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Garden Inspiration Yesterday

Paper Bag Floors

If you are in need of new flooring but don't have much money to spend (or even if you do) then this fits the bill! I created this floor out of brown paper, Elmers glue, stain and polyurethane. It was easy to do (albeit time consuming) and is very durable. This room is 10 X 12 and cost about $80, but future rooms will cost about $30 since I have plenty of leftover supplies. Click through to read the tutorial: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/...

To see more: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/paper-bag-floors-a-tutorial/

724 Comments Displaying 15 of 724 comments | See Previous
  • Joni
    Joni Paragon, IN
    Will this work with concrete floors that are not smooth
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Malinda Bills
      Malinda Bills Sandy, UT
      Joni Sure. If you can use a concrete patch to smooth out the major rough spots, that's helpful. But keep in mind that this is paper, so you will feel bumps underneath it. But at the end of the day, it doesn't seem to be too big of a deal.
  • Gayle Clemens
    Gayle Clemens Renton, WA
    @Joni following as that is the room I'm thinking of... mine are smooth but wonder how good the glue would stick down to it.
    • Joni
      Joni Paragon, IN
      Gayle Clemens That is what I was thinking. Not sure if I could do the room I want anyway. It would be subject to weather (rain, snow, etc)
    • Malinda Bills
      Malinda Bills Sandy, UT
      Gayle Clemens We actually used Poly to put ours down instead of glue. It was more expensive, but we felt better about the hold. Although, keep in mind that after you glue it down (which does
  • Carlann McBroom
    Carlann McBroom Midland, TX
    Can you put this on outdoor patio floor?
    • Malinda Bills
      Malinda Bills Sandy, UT
      Carlann McBroom I think this would be challenging if the room is subject to weather. Keep in mind it's just paper and poly. I think If I was going to chance doing it outside, I would put extra poly on and re-poly every year.
  • Dale Hayes
    Dale Hayes Mobile, AL
    Do not use this technique on exterior surfaces. Polyurethanes are mostly for interiors only. If you are going to try this on an outdoor patio floor, I suggest using a silicone acrylic clear sealer in place of the polyurethane and any color silicone
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    Catrina Davis, I will surely try. I can not find a corner yet that is not a huge heap of a mess still. Plus, when my camera died, a friend gave me her old camera.... then I bought a photo camera/card reader/writer for it and then it immediately
  • Randy Stewart
    Randy Stewart Dallas, TX
    Awesome creation! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Ann Pike
    Ann Pike Lagrange, GA
    I am doing my den. What was the color you stained the floor with?
  • Karen rhinevault
    Karen rhinevault Mulino, OR
    This is a great idea--I would use a marine spar or non-water based sealer though--it will wear better and be truly waterproof so you don't get the cloudy look when it gets wet. Lasts far longer as well. I did my kitchen and bedroom floors (on a farm
  • Matthew Ryan
    Matthew Ryan Madison, MS
    Using water baseed...How long to wait between coats? And how thick? Should I be able to see the "white milky water" look in spots?
  • LaBreeska Lewis
    LaBreeska Lewis Bastrop, LA
    we just added to our home by closing in the back patio and making it a Man Cave lol but anyway it is concrete flooring and I am so gonna try this thank you so much for sharing this with us!!! Beautiful job!
  • Vanessa Quattrucci
    Joni! Love it! But how can I keep it clean? I´m from Brazil, we wash the floor with a lot water.
Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection
  • Likes

Dustie E. Martemucci Marcia Kinyon Robin McDonald Jill Pike Kelly Lash Amanda Roof Dianna Jensen Jenny Gena Vicars Michelle Gould

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!