Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Paper Bag Floors

If you are in need of new flooring but don't have much money to spend (or even if you do) then this fits the bill! I created this floor out of brown paper, Elmers glue, stain and polyurethane. It was easy to do (albeit time consuming) and is very durable. This room is 10 X 12 and cost about $80, but future rooms will cost about $30 since I have plenty of leftover supplies. Click through to read the tutorial: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/...

To see more: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/03/paper-bag-floors-a-tutorial/

788 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 16 of 788 comments | See Previous
  • Shelley Sweitzer
    Shelley Sweitzer Mattawana, PA
    Can you do this on top of linoleum or do you need to remove it? How durable is it with dogs? Did you rip the bags into different size pieces and over lap? I Love This!!!)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Cyndi Dimanno
      Cyndi Dimanno Maryville, TN
      U can do it on top
    • Cyndi Dimanno
      Cyndi Dimanno Maryville, TN
      It will stand up to dogs with at least 4 coats of poly. Try not to overlap it will bubble
  • Cindy Hernandez
    Cindy Hernandez Clute, TX
    just bought a house the floor is concrete what would I have to do first to do this kinda paper floor on

• Dennis
    Dennis Kansas City, MO
    Can you a oil base polyurethane?
  • Sheryll S
    Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
    I have a concrete slab house & I am sure it has that nasty black asbestos glue on it from when they put down those old 9 in linoleum tiles........ so I had to do myself. I only sanded enough to be confident it was still porous (so far not finished YET).
    • Farra Wicks
      Sheryll S Did you sand down the black glue?? I just bought a house and pulled back the carpet to find flooring similar to what you describe, though the tiles are still somewhat in place
    • Sheryll S
      Sheryll S Jacksonville, FL
      Farra Wicks Hi, I am surely no expert. I just did what I did... I can not recommend the abesto's worry to anyone except they should seek professiional advice if the test comes back positive. I
  • Penny Gray
    Penny Gray West Fork, AR
    We want to do this in our new house but are worried about our pets running around and scratching it all up. Does it show up scratches form animals or things getting moved on it?
    • Amy
      Amy Wildwood, NJ
      Penny Gray No. You cannot believe how durable! We did 15 coats of Poly tho.
  • Cleta spencer
    cleta spencer Richwood, WV
    I have a smaller room I would love to do this but I have a few questions, can you over lap the pieces of paper and does the paper not puff up or tear when putting on the "wet" stain?? It would seem that the stain would make the paper bags tear, split or
    • Matthew Ryan
      Matthew Ryan Madison, MS
      Cleta spencer have to overlap pieces 1/2 inch or so because paper shrinks. Paper did not tear for me during stain process (I used a roller) ...Only mistake i made was i didnt sand at all.
    • Anna Evans
      Anna Evans Bainbridge, OH
      Cleta spencer I just done a room and hallway and the best way to put stain on is with a rag just as you would a real wood floor and wipe off excess it seems to even out the stain most
  • Barbara C
    Barbara C Seattle, WA
    I found you can get instructions from You Tube.. Just put in How to Paper Bag Floors... and it will bring up about 10 videos on how to do this.. I can't do this because I live in an Apartment.. But it would be so much fun doing.... the results are
  • Ingrid Shapiro
    Ingrid Shapiro Fort Myers, FL
    Ingrid Shapiro, Ft. Myers, FL. My girlfriend did this on a coffee table, and it looked fantastic. Love the look. Big job for the floor.
Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing