Paper Bag Floors

Items I want to Do 31 minutes ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
If you are in need of new flooring but don't have much money to spend (or even if you do) then this fits the bill! I created this floor out of brown paper, Elmers glue, stain and polyurethane. It was easy to do (albeit time consuming) and is very durable. This room is 10 X 12 and cost about $80, but future rooms will cost about $30 since I have plenty of leftover supplies. Click through to read the tutorial:
  • A close up of the finished floor, it almost looks like old leather.
  • I did the whole 10 X 12 room for about $80, but any future room will cost about $30. That's cheap flooring!
  • Gluing the paper down using a 50% Elmers glue %50 water mixture. This part took forever.
  • Here is the paper going on, this is about 10 hours in (spread over multiple days).
  • Mopping on the stain.
  • After 12 coats of poly! I know people say this all the time, but it honestly look much better in real life. It just looks shiny in the pictures.

To see more:

• Mollie
    mollie Caldwell, ID
    I did this project in my kitchen in Calif. Was fun to do and used a lot of Poly. It lasted for years. I did it around 1975.
  • Donna dickinson
    donna dickinson Punta Gorda, FL
    did this on a wall looks great make sure to get all ends sides etc so they adhere well
  • Sandra
    sandra Lone Grove, OK
    I've seen this done on walls , to look like leather. I just wonder how it would hold up to cleaning and moving furniture around.
  • Cindy
    I love how this turned out!. I have used polyurethane on jewelry and shoes and other mick nacks. I love the stuff. I have never tackled a project this big though.
Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post