Hometalk.com

For the Garden 15 hours ago

Create a Custom Indoor Herb Garden Design from Mason Jars

Wouldn't it be fantastic to have a custom indoor herb garden you could hang on your kitchen wall?

This comes in handy when you don't have a ton of counter space. Plus, who doesn't like a pizza with fresh basil and mozzarella (I'm hoping some of you do!!).

This project was inspired by a blog post over at Camille Styles. I modified it a bit (with their permission) by creating an oil rubbed bronze & copper effect on a wood board.

This artistic touch could come in handy for any number of projects. It's a simple & inexpensive technique that you can do yourself.

You can then mount mason jars to the board with stainless steel clamps. This allows the jars to be removed and cleaned if you'd like to add different herbs over time. Way cool!!

So you get fresh herbs and a conversation piece that begs for bragging rights.

Here are some pics of the project for inspiration.

Time: 2 Hours Cost: $30 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/custom-indoor-herb-garden-design/

48 Comments Displaying 15 of 48 comments | See Previous
  • Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    I love the many uses that all of you come together to do. I am in favor of growing anything, anywhere. Someone up above and I agree.. any thing that you plant in a mason jar is NOT going to grow very long without getting root bound. I have no clue as to
  • Im going to make this and put it in my kitchen. I have the perfect spot for it, already picked out.
  • Nancy s...Ellie w had a good idea. use plastic mayo bottles. that way, a hole could b put in the bottom for drainage.
  • Ellie W Zebulon, NC
    Thank you Rachel, most times mayo jars are trashed as we can't use them for canning. This would be a perfect use for them.
  • Gregory Hart Clarkson, KY
    Won't cost me a thing to build one of these... That is if your family used to a family of food canners. My house and attic is full of antique mason jars from my parents time and their parent's time.
  • Mary M Smyrna, TN
    wow im doing this! use different size jars... hang it sideways and put office supplies in it.

it sould work in the kitchen too~

• Rhonda Robinson Tampa, FL
    looking to complete this project. need jars. Antique mason jars sounds good..well tomatoe sauce does too.
  • Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Haha, I hear ya Ellie. It's mostly a style thing
  • Ellie W Zebulon, NC
    SO MUCH FOR STYLE, LIKE I SAID I COULD & WOULD GET UPSET & RATHER TESTY OVER MY CANNING JARS. I LOVE TO CAN EVERYTHING IN SITE. LOL
  • Terri, why not take the jars to your neighbor and make it easier for them to remember to water them? They could also enjoy the plants while you are gone. Enjoy your vacation!
  • Nancy R Decatur, IL
    For Heavens Sakes people do you have to pick everything apart!! Soon people will not post any ideas because of the negativity. Think before you post and how would you feel.
  • Thank you, Nancy R., I was thinking the same thing. I talked to someone yesterday that has been using this idea for a while now and she said that she drills 3small holes in the bottom of her jars with a small bit and her Dremmel. This would be easy to do
  • Amy Tomey Salem, IN
    why not a layer of small pebbles, maybe half an inch or so in the bottom of the jar? It would be easy to see how much water was in the bottom. Also, put a folded up unused coffee filter over the hole before adding anything. Only the water will drain out.
  • Bessie Blazejewski Dana Point, CA
    I love this idea, it's so creative. Thank you for sharing.
  • Sarah Carroll Valders, WI
    Great idea.