Tip: Granite stains and WD-40

Cleaning tips 03.22.13

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Just wanted to share a tip -- WD-40 takes out stains in granite! I was clipping some lilies and the reddish pollen fell on our granite countertop. It stained it immediately and spray cleaner wouldn't get it out. On a whim I sprayed it with WD-40 and wiped with a paper towel, and it took the stain out! I then sprayed the whole countertop with it and wiped it, and more and more orange came off on the towel.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    was your granite previously sealed?...many folks perform the "lemon juice and oil" test on a scrap of granite to test its density and resistance to etching. Some light color granite will darken and "look" stained when exposed to oil. this is normally not
  • Melissa G
    Melissa G Atlanta, GA
    Interesting! I don't know if it was sealed before. It's a dark granite -- a mix of black and brown.
Melissa G

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post