Hometalk.com

03.19.13

Paint color for a bathroom with old yellow & black tiles?

Currently, the bathroom is painted white but I would love to change it. There are yellow & black tiles halfway up on the walls. The tub, toilet & sink are white. What color can I put in this room? Thanks.
15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I've been working on a home where one of the baths is is a "grey" theme. It has grey tiles about half way up the walls. with a dark grey ceiling and white crown molding. I find it kind of snappy and modern.
  • There is paint you can use to cover the tiles with some other color. I would check with the paint store for the right type of paint to apply. just suggesting
  • Sheila E Suffolk, VA
    You didn't say what style you'd like to achieve. If you want glamor then paint the walls black. I saw some on Canada's House and Home magazine website that were amazing.
  • Lisa Van Wyk Borzi there are some posts here about painting ceramic, but I couldn't find them quickly. Here is a site online that shows a before and after pic and instructions http://www.miraclemethod.com/painting-cerami...
  • Jamala W Whitmire, SC
    I would suggest a soft grey..
  • Lisa Van Wyk Borzi Patchogue, NY
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • Christine Lynch Chemung, NY
    a nice soft gray with a fine sparkle dust added to it,then use the plastic bag dipping method with a satin or gloss black,soft or high gloss ,then definitely finish it off with that ever popular perfect finishing touch...crown molding !!!!!
  • Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    I'm with the others...gray.
  • Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with the grey paint also. They are showing a lot of yellow and grey accessories out there currently. A friend of mine has a fabric shower curtain that is white with grey and yellow designs from Westelm.com
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Since this black is up on the wall and will not get a lot of wear, it is a perfect spot to paint the tile. I would paint the tile white and go with yellow and white theme. Or you can cover the tile by putting a wider board down over it which is connected
  • Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Gray may seem a little boring, but you can play up what you have. It's a very contemporary color combo. Put down a fun patterned or chevon rug, and paint or find a fun piece of art, using the same colors. I purposely used these colors in my living room
  • Leslie D I love your art work. You are one talented painter! Love the 3D effect you have given the art :) Will have to try my hand at this - is the technique posted anywhre?
  • Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks, Gail. I didn't take pics as I did the paintings. I used oil paints, which are very smooth and easy to work and just troweled on the background colors with a 3" plastic drywall spackle knife in a cross-hatch pattern, adding just a little black and
  • William Rogers Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I had the same tiles years ago, I used a nice greyish/blue.
  • Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Very good point that your post brought to mind, William. When we did our gray walls, it was amazing how different all the shades of gray were. There are blue-grays, green-grays, and red-grays, and it makes a huge difference in how the tone of the gray
  • Likes

Gayle P. Dana Robinson