Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
09.22.14

Paint color for a bathroom with old yellow & black tiles?

Currently, the bathroom is painted white but I would love to change it. There are yellow & black tiles halfway up on the walls. The tub, toilet & sink are white. What color can I put in this room? Thanks.
19 Comments Displaying 15 of 19 comments | See Previous
  • Jamala W
    Jamala W Whitmire, SC
    I would suggest a soft grey..
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Lisa Van Wyk Borzi
    Lisa Van Wyk Borzi Patchogue, NY
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • Christine Lynch
    Christine Lynch Chemung, NY
    a nice soft gray with a fine sparkle dust added to it,then use the plastic bag dipping method with a satin or gloss black,soft or high gloss ,then definitely finish it off with that ever popular perfect finishing touch...crown molding !!!!!
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    I'm with the others...gray.
  • Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with the grey paint also. They are showing a lot of yellow and grey accessories out there currently. A friend of mine has a fabric shower curtain that is white with grey and yellow designs from Westelm.com
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Since this black is up on the wall and will not get a lot of wear, it is a perfect spot to paint the tile. I would paint the tile white and go with yellow and white theme. Or you can cover the tile by putting a wider board down over it which is connected
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Gray may seem a little boring, but you can play up what you have. It's a very contemporary color combo. Put down a fun patterned or chevon rug, and paint or find a fun piece of art, using the same colors. I purposely used these colors in my living room
  • Gail Salminen
    Leslie D I love your art work. You are one talented painter! Love the 3D effect you have given the art :) Will have to try my hand at this - is the technique posted anywhre?
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks, Gail. I didn't take pics as I did the paintings. I used oil paints, which are very smooth and easy to work and just troweled on the background colors with a 3" plastic drywall spackle knife in a cross-hatch pattern, adding just a little black and
  • William Rogers
    William Rogers Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I had the same tiles years ago, I used a nice greyish/blue.
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Very good point that your post brought to mind, William. When we did our gray walls, it was amazing how different all the shades of gray were. There are blue-grays, green-grays, and red-grays, and it makes a huge difference in how the tone of the gray
  • Cindi
    Cindi Gulfport, MS
    Lisa Van Wyk Borzi leave the bottom alone, that can be made to be very pretty. I would take that mustard yellow/gold color in the bottom back ground, and match it up to paint and paint
  • Wabbitears
    Wabbitears Fort Lauderdale, FL
    They have folks who come to your house and enamel coat (resurface) the tiles with any color you like. I'd invest there first and then paint the walls anything I liked. I had a tub redone and it was marvelous to see the absolute clean, shiny look the
  • Wanda sinnema
    Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    I think the grey would look sharp... so many modern vibe shades of that color right now... I'm guessing its a late 1940's early 50's....our area is all like that..I have the mint green! neighbors black and mint, another is maroon........depending on what
  • Jane
    Jane Dublin, OH
    In my daughter's bathroom in one of her house renting days she had yellow tiles that looked very much like this. I painted the black tiles white to match woodwork, then did a faux denim blue paint using glaze and a fine comb. It looked amazing!
Lisa Van Wyk Borzi
  • Likes

Gayle P. Dana Robinson