BEFORE & AFTER: The Makeover of a Wooden Play Kitchen

kids 08.10.15
I found this beat up wooden play kitchen from the thrift store for only $2.50! I knew immediately it could be beautiful! I didn't want it to be "girly" or "kiddie" so I chose Annie Sloan Antibes Green for the outside, and Annie Sloan Napoleonic Blue for the interior. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut new vinyl burners, and I mitered trim to make panels on the door, which are Mod Podged with fabric from a vintage table cloth from the thrift store. I also added cup hooks to the side for measuring spoons (which are also from the thrift store!). For more pics and VIDEOS of the whole processes, with more detail, you can find it on the blog post. Enjoy!
A $2.50 wooden play kitchen from the thrift store gets a makeover!
I lined the doors with vintage fabric from a thrift store table cloth, and used cup hooks to hold thrift store measuring spoons.
It had potential, right?? Most people just walked right on by it. Good for ME!
I wanted something that wasn't too "girly" or too "kiddy." So I chose Annie Sloan Antibes Green, which gives it a retro feel. I kept the existing red handles. It worked with the colors!
I used Annie Sloan Napoleonic Blue inside, which was the perfect compliment to the Antibes Green. All the inside metal bowls came from the thrift store, as well.
Annie Sloan Napoleonic Blue. Isn't it a DIVINE color?!? Love it! Dries a shade darker.
Cup hooks on the side allow kids to store measuring spoons and a towel.
YUCK. That's all I can say. LOL
The plastic burner stickers were peeling off and in bad shape.
I removed the stickers and lightly sanded out the sticky parts.
I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut new vinyl burners. Easy!
I used Mod Podge to glue down panels for the door.
A close-up of the vintage table cloth used.
I had bought this from the thrift store about 6 months ago and had never used it. Was probably going to make pillows from it or something. But after starting this project, I realized this would be perfect for lining the doors.
I cut my own trim and glued it down to the doors with Gorilla Glue. See the blog post for a short video on how NOT to use Gorilla Glue ;)
There are my 3 boys playing with the new wooden play kitchen! Making "Cheeriors stew." LOL

To see more:

• Dory Corbett
    Dory Corbett Manning, SC
    I love this! And, your boys are adorable! What a great mom!!!!
  • Kat
    Kat Batavia, NY
    very sweet update you recycled !
  • Jeanne Ormond
    Jeanne Ormond Baraboo, WI
    This is so cute. I love the stove and it's make over.
  • Marcy
    Marcy Rogers City, MI
    What a wonderful Mom you are, very nice job, beautiful children.
  • DIY 180
    DIY 180 Winter Park, FL
    Turned out great!
Thrift Diving

Search Feedback