Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 6 days ago

Refinishing Old Wood with Coconut Oil

To refinish old dry wood simply sand and wash with warm soapy water. Let the wood dry out (after washing it). Now using a clean dry rag apply a thin coat of coconut oil. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so, and then buff (wipe in a circular motion). Repeat if the wood is really dry.

For this piece I also applied a coat of Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Wax as added protection.

The coconut oil brought out the natural color of the wood, re-hydrated the wood, and took away that old musty barn smell. Oh yeah and it's also a great hand moisturizer. It's a win-win!

I am so happy with the results and the best part is it totally non-toxic (people eat coconut oil) so the kids helped me with this project.

@www.2littlesuperheroes.com

Time: 30 Minutes Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.2littlesuperheroes.com/2013/03/refinishing-furniture-with-coconut-oil.html/

38 Comments Displaying 15 of 38 comments | See Previous
  • dose it make the wood dark like your pics appear, i have some drawers i need to seal like the idea of coconut oil rather than the linseed as the smell isnt pleasant, not offensive but lingers, would rather the smell of coconut but dont want the darkness
  • Linda Dike Gering, NE
    I wish we could that brand of coconut oil here in Nebraska.
  • Evelyn Broeffle Albany, OR
    Costco carries a great brand of Coconut Oil. It is edible, you can use it as above, you can put it on skin and hair, it doesn't go rancid and it becomes liquid at 76 degrees F. The smell is very mild as is the taste in cooking. It is better for you,
  • Susan Cleveland Scranton, PA
    Sam's club has it , virgin coconut oil...large one for under 15 dollars. I love coconut oil, mix it with scented oils ...wonderful for dry skin...even feet...no more pumice stone, or that dreaded pedi egg.
  • Julia Brown Minneapolis, MN
    I've been told that coconut oil doesn't go rancid, so you should be safe using it on wood. In the diet, there is research showing that coconut oil can slow down or halt the progression of Alzheimers disease. Another study shows that overweight people
  • Jeanne Falkenstein Placerville, CA
    @to get a water mark out, try using a combination of butter and cigarette ashes. Make a paste and rub it in. Always works for me.
  • Jo Anne Johns Fort Worth, TX
    FYI ladies Linseed oil can be VERY dangerous. My neighbors home caught fire after she refinished her butcher block counter with Linseed oil and put the rags in her trash can in the kitchen that night ,and they combusted into flames..check out this link
  • Donna Church Meriden, CT
    I had a glade plug in spill on my Hitchcock hutch any suggestions to fix that?
    • Jan B. Crossville, TN
      Donna Church try brown paper bag and warm iron...place bag down on oil spot then warm iron on bag...heat should make the oil get absorbed in to bag paper
  • I have water spots on my hardwood floors, any idea if this coconut oil repair would help this look better? Also, I have an oak dresser with water stains will it help that, or do you thing I would need to sand and restain it?
  • Marge Carter Raleigh, NC
    that is terrific as I have an old wind up record player
  • Rita Fayette, OH
    This is a good source for coconut oil:

Swanson Health Products: Vitamins and Supplements, Natural ...

• Jo P Peninsula, OH
    I use mineral oil on wood ...
  • Julie Moyna Santa Clarita, CA
    I love the versatility of this amazing oil! I eat a spoonful daily, apply to my skin after bathing, grease my pans and use on wood too! If you have a Trader Joe's near you, you can score a certified organic jar for $5.99! This and aloe vera are my go to
  • Mari Milwaukee, WI
    Way off subject of refinishing re: coconut oil --- It is fantastic for popping popcorn - it is simply delicious!