Hometalk.com

"No Porch... No Problem" ~ Create the "Porch Feeling" with a patio in the front yard, perfect for meeting and greeting!

Not every house style or home has a big porch on it that provides a wonderful space to greet visitors, hangout with family or friends or just to watch the world go by. No porch, no problem... The addition of a patio to the front of a home can deliver all of he warm feelings of a porch and even more.

First of all a patio enlarges the space which allows people to be more comfortable and human interactions more relaxed. Have you ever tried to carry on a conversation with four people on a three foot sidewalk? Next, by providing places to sit you can encourage neighboring and community engagement by being in the front of the home. Seating can take several forms from outdoor furniture to built in raised planters or boulders. Watching the kids play in the front yard or comfortably hanging out waiting for some one to return home is enjoyable on a beautiful front yard patio. A patio can put you that much closer to your wonderful gardens and flowers. Why not immerse yourself in the wonderful gardens you spend so much time taking care of? We would rather see you engage your landscape and enjoy it then to just create some "curb appeal" for the passer by! Last but not least, a patio on front my allow you to take advantage of the different micro climates that exist in

15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    WOW! Awesome advice and great inspiration!
  • Jim Jakes Nashville, TN
    Nice post! Variety for so many different style homes.
  • Teresa D Snellville, GA
    I need a "LOVE" button! I love them all! Definitely going to Pinterest!
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    My only concern would be that you've made these areas so inviting that the neighbors would drop by and just stay.
  • LOL! that could be a problem Douglas... choose your neighbors wisely. One thing that we have noticed when we put patios in the front and one in the back yard is that a clear sense of public and private spaces have been created.... if they're hanging out
  • Adria Whitford Atlanta, GA
    Very nicely done! The use of large rocks and raised beds for natural seating is a great idea.
  • I love it! So inviting.
  • Thanks Adria and Sharon! the comments are appreciated!
  • Michelle Eliker Vallejo, CA
    Some great ideas! Thanks
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I love these! Great job...enjoy. I love the way the pergola gives a sense of purpose...like it is supposed to be there!
  • nothing more precious to a gardener's soul but to have a warm welcome place to share a garden
  • Melody M Chattanooga, TN
    ohhhh i really love what you did to the space its so gorgeous..
  • Anne Marie Morris Panama City, FL
    A truly beautiful addition to your home...lovely!
  • Morgan Queenstown, MD
    Love it
  • Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    So lovely. I'm saving to put a pergola on the front of the house, and I want to courtyard the entire area with raised beds and pavers I've been collecting. I appreciate the inspiration!