Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 03.23.14

Privacy Screen Ideas and How to Make A Fence Taller

These photos from local garden tours show creative ways to improve the privacy in a garden and add some vertical interest. Some use freestanding structures with lattice, others add on to existing fences. You can see more examples on my blog as well as many complete tours of these gardens. http://www.empressofdirt.net/fence-not-high-...

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/empressofdirt

30 Comments Displaying 15 of 30 comments | See Previous
  • After spending the better part of 25 years " screening" in my entire 1/2 acre from extremely lazy busybody neighbors. with trees & then structures .. we're almost there . Building 2 pergolas , one with presently growing grapevines in my back yard that
  • Paula Giacobbi Burgess Sounds like a lot of effort but with long-term benefits. Cheers for privacy!
  • Getting a chuckle out of some of the comments - I have turned into one of those annoying porch dwellers ( until they finish the work in the back yard) When that is finished have been inspired with the ideas seen here
  • Barre Hall Ogdensburg, NY
    Have a very "invasive" neighbor - these are SUPER ideas for coping with her
  • Jean Alphin Marcus Hook, PA
    Just love these Ideas. Will this work for a smaller yard?
  • Don't you just LOVE garden tours?! I get so many great ideas from other gardeners - thanks for sharing!
  • Anne @ DesignDreams by Anne I am a garden tour fanatic. I recommend anyone getting started in gardening go on local tours to see what's possible in their area. Delighted you love them too! :)
  • Organized Clutter International Falls, MN
    Thanks for sharing the privacy ideas, Melissa!
  • I had an issue with privacy and solved it by planting lilacs, Budlia on a trellis, and a Serviceberry tree. To the side, I added a trellis to our deck railing and grew Wisteria for quick coverage. We have a tiny backyard, so this minimized the space
  • Candi H. Sounds lovely!
  • Barbara Smith Winchester, KY
    How can I make more privacy out of chain link fence? I can't afford new privacy fence right now.
  • Very helpful ideas, especially where to place the screen. We have an apt building behind us and they love spending time either on their balcony or directly behind our fence day or night. We are on a hill so our back porch is higher, feels like we're on
  • Myrna Iral Philippines
    I am very inspired by your idea of organized clutter that started doing it with all the junk I have in my garden. I have a very big space so the sky is the limit for me. I hope one of this days I can show my creation. Thank you for sharing.
  • @mimi The two main ways I know of are a) to plant vines and b) to add barriers such as rollled bamboo fence that can be attached to the chain link. Some annual vines will grow quickly to fill things in and die off in the winter (depending on where you
  • Allison Robbins Glad you like the ideas. It's never nice to feel like your outdoor sanctuary is on display!