Hometalk.com

02.22.12

Bathroom flooring. Has anyone used Bamboo flooring in the bathroom. Any info is helpful, especially the negative

27 Comments Displaying 15 of 27 comments | See Previous
  • Beverly E Check, VA
    We have bamboo all through our 2 story house...I love it!! hard wood durable. Sooo pretty! It's also the "Green" floor. Bamboo grows fast and dosne't damage the enviroment. I have pix on my FB page but I can't figure out ohow to download them...:(
  • Mike N Chevy Chase, MD
    Excellent point, John. As these tile planks are generally narrow and long, the underlayment condition is of paramount importance. If used in a basement or slab condition, leveling may be required; and in a typical wood-frame environment I recommend
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Beverly...hate to bust your bubble on the "Green" aspect of Bamboo. Yes is does grow much faster than say an oak tree. But the process of turning this "grass" into "wood" is a very energy and chemical intensive process. The "farming practices" to grow
  • Chuck W Dublin, GA
    Ive been installing floors for 16 years and a quality pre-finished hardwood or bamboo flooring is ok to put in a bathroom as long as your installer does his job properly.
  • Bamboo will work but tile is always the best in wet areas! It cleans up easy and will last a lot longer in wet areas. Bamboos range widely in quality so make sure you know what you are getting.
  • I love the look of tile, buy everyone is talking me out of it.
  • Mike N Chevy Chase, MD
    Only you can talk yourself out of it! :-)

If that's what you love, get it! Your house, you have to live with it!

• KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Melanie...tile where?....Tile is the hands down best for kitchens, baths, laundry, entries, utility rooms. In some climates it is even good for bedrooms...ie: tropical beach type homes. My home only has carpet in two of the back smaller and out of the
  • Tile in the bathroom. Some relatives and friends have said not to get it. I really like the look of it. I have 3 kids, and i worry about it chipping or cracking if something gets dropped on it. Its our only bath. I want something easy to clean and
  • Melanie, we've had tile in our bathrooms for years- never had a problem with chipping or cracking. As far as cracking goes, you just need to make sure the prep work is done correctly. The experts on here will chime in with what the best matierials &
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    With proper prep (ie: backer ..set and screwed over a sound subfloor) the grout will last 20 years or more. Sealing it every couple of years will make your cleaning regime easier. I've seen tile that was 30 and 40 years old and still going strong.
  • We have gas in our home, can we put only the radiant heating in the bath, and about how much extra do you think it costs? My husband would be doing all the work.
  • LandlightS Roswell, GA
    If you have an unfinished basement, or access to the subfloor thru a drop ceiling, you can add radiant flooring to the entire level of the house. See www.suntouch.com
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Another company is "warmly yours" http://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/ If have installed both of these (suntouch too) these system are designed to install above the subfloor. I have suntouch installed in my master bath...its great.
  • Mike N Chevy Chase, MD
    I've used Warmly Yours for years now with great success. I continue to use them to this day. Excellent product, pricing, and customer service.