Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
05.24.12

HELP, how do I get rust off an old cast iron cornbread pan?

I found this great pan at a thrift store and paid 50 cents for it. It is a neat Sugaro cactus design, too cool. But the previous owner let is get rusty. I already tried Easy Off and wanted to try Naval Jelly, but the Naval Jelly is caustic and cast iron is porous. Any suggestions? Thanks :-)
22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Love the picture of your dog. Mine will turn 19 at the end of this week. He sleeps most of the day and I check his breathing regularly. He is a sweet companion.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Wow, great conversation! @Bill, I love the picture of your dog as well. He/she is really something!
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    I always understood to use peanut oil, Or does it not matter?
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I always think that peanut and olive oil leave a bit of a 'taste' residue, so I used just plain veggie/safflower oil. I can't wait to use it.
    I don' t worry about taste. I burn everything anyway. When is dinner. We all will be right over!
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I usually use olive oil, but thought that this may not need it. As to dinner, well, I'll serve it up as soon as you get here.
  • BeckySue, Certified Master K&B Designer
    Peanut Oil is a very viable option! The bonus is that it (along with Safflower Oil) does not break down as fast under high heat and has less flavor. Disadvantage - most people don't have them in their pantry and they are more expensive.
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Thanks Becky Sue, when I want to 'fry' something with HOT oil, then I use peanut oil because it can tolerate much higher temperatures. I am one of those 'few folks' that have numerous oils in my fridge. It does take up lots of room, and usually I don't
  • Bill H
    Bill H Ephrata, PA
    Just so everyone knows he is named Joey and he is 9 months old and 130lb he is a blue mural great Dane and he is the biggest baby
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I do 95% of my cooking in cast iron...At home we have a 10" and 12" skillet, a "chicken fryer" ( which is a deep skillet with a skillet lid) a number of smaller 4 and 6" skillets, and my all time favorite a huge 14 qt coal top dutch oven. The last few
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    Now a new question: I have a cast aluminium heart shaped tray and would like to use it for Valentine's. But there are spots and discolorations on it. HOW DO I CLEAN IT without hurting it. Thanks.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Is this an anodized tray or is the aluminum "bright"? if bright you may be able to buff out the spots with a kitchen scrubby...if anodized...that is a hard "electro-chemical" treatment that has been done to the metal...
  • Rose S
    Rose S Marietta, GA
    I have no clue what kind it is. The sort of shiny top has these dark areas. I have had it for quite a while. There are no markings on the back, like some of my others. But it looks 'poured' if that means anything. It is a heart shaped tray that I usually
  • Carolyn B
    Carolyn B Castalia, NC
    I have always burned mine over an open flame fire pit..This will have an ashy look afterward but will wipe out! then wash really well..all the rust should be gone then start seasoning...From then on never put soap on it! Happy cooking!
  • Victoria S
    Victoria S Cape Coral, FL
    when you season them to put in oven,turn them bottom side up! 225 oven heat
Rose S

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!