How to Strip Veneer - no fumes, no power tools, EASY!

DIY Furniture 5 days ago
So simple, so easy! I have been trying to tackle the messy job of chipping veneer off pieces to re finish them and what a pain in the hiney! I thought of an idea, and while I was testing the theory, I asked our lovely facebook followers their favorite method. Well, pretty much everyone said either using a wet towel and an iron ( which wrecks both the iron and towel) OR use a heat gun - (which would then have the fumes from the adhesive floating up in your face - or house and then requires use of masks and such) SO Here you go. Very easy - SOAK a towel so it is dripping wet in a mixture of half water and half vinegar. Place it on the veneer. Have a girls night out and let it soak over night. Make sure it is SOAKING wet. I even went back later and used a water bottle and just poured it right onto the towel to make sure it was soaked! Come back in the morning and use a putty knife or chisel and it will peel up like butter! #StrippingVeneer

To see more creative ways to tackle repurposing projects - visit us at http://www.facebook.com/gypsybarn

Difficulty: Easy
  • Before I came up with the simple solution - I was one of those people chipping away and cussing out loud! This way takes forever! you get slivers, its a MESS!
  • Laying the towel down.it Was a very thick towel and dripping wet when I put it on the pieces
  • one or two test runs in the morning reveals - very little muscle power at all and it was peeling right off!
  • Slicing through that crud like a hot knife through butter!
  • Here is the piece that I finished using this technique
  • Here is another piece I finished using the same technique
  • Patti
    Patti Loganville, GA
    So what is usually underneath the veneer? Plywood or something? I suppose that could be sanded and painted and you'd never know what it was, but I wonder how thin and durable the piece will be after removing the veneer? Any thoughts? Your project
  • Sharon Russell
    Sharon Russell Imperial, NE
    I bought a teeny little ( 10 ft) vintage camper out of a cornfield where it'd been sitting for years. Previous owners "doctored" the cattle out of it and had spilled veterinary meds and it dripped down the little drawers. Some of the veneer was damaged
  • Sharon Reynolds
    Sharon Reynolds Little Rock, AR
    I have done this and it works like a champ!!!!....so easy and stress free...
  • Beatrice Tangeman
    Beatrice Tangeman Leander, TX
    Interesting...I've always used wood filler in chipped areas and sanded them down before primer & paint.
  • Sammokka
    sammokka Hanover, PA
    Thank you for this information! This should come in handy someday!
Gypsy Barn