How to Strip Veneer - no fumes, no power tools, EASY!

So simple, so easy! I have been trying to tackle the messy job of chipping veneer off pieces to re finish them and what a pain in the hiney! I thought of an idea, and while I was testing the theory, I asked our lovely facebook followers their favorite method. Well, pretty much everyone said either using a wet towel and an iron ( which wrecks both the iron and towel) OR use a heat gun - (which would then have the fumes from the adhesive floating up in your face - or house and then requires use of masks and such) SO Here you go. Very easy - SOAK a towel so it is dripping wet in a mixture of half water and half vinegar. Place it on the veneer. Have a girls night out and let it soak over night. Make sure it is SOAKING wet. I even went back later and used a water bottle and just poured it right onto the towel to make sure it was soaked! Come back in the morning and use a putty knife or chisel and it will peel up like butter! #StrippingVeneer

To see more creative ways to tackle repurposing projects - visit us at

Difficulty: Easy
  • Before I came up with the simple solution - I was one of those people chipping away and cussing out loud! This way takes forever! you get slivers, its a MESS!
  • Laying the towel Was a very thick towel and dripping wet when I put it on the pieces
  • one or two test runs in the morning reveals - very little muscle power at all and it was peeling right off!
  • Slicing through that crud like a hot knife through butter!
  • Here is the piece that I finished using this technique
  • Here is another piece I finished using the same technique
  • Sammokka
    sammokka Hanover, PA
    Thank you for this information! This should come in handy someday!
  • Heather Stimmel
    Heather Stimmel Parkersburg, WV
    I have had a dresser for about 7 years now (a friend bought it for $20 at a local auction, and I was the lucky benefactor;-), and the legs are just beautiful!!! Similar to a Queen Anne style, all four are in excellent condition! Unfortunately, I can't
  • Mark Whitnall
    Mark Whitnall Kensington, MD
    My son just tried this and we were amazed at how well it worked. He put plastic over the soaked towel to keep it moist for 9 hours
  • Lori
    Lori Christiana, TN
    Thanks Mark Whitnall, I have an old dresser? lowboy? Think I will give a go.... But will have to keep it a secret from hubby . 😕
  • Danielle
    Danielle Canada
    Tried this method earlier in the spring and it worked beautifully! No cussing, none, nada!
Gypsy Barn

Search Feedback