Hometalk.com

Lighting Ideas 04.08.14

How I use old bottles

Back about a year ago, I started this little hairbrained idea, and never finished it. With the restrictions of surgery...I've been trying to do lighter projects, mostly unsuccessful, but this one came back in my mind. But cutting the bottoms off of these old decanters, and joining them with a little goodwill platter....I have a great chandelier...pendant...swag...or whatever you want to call it. It would be perfect for over a little bar, in a mancave, or even on a patio....I'm so glad I finally did this! I feel a tutorial in the future! This isn't a tutorial...but I can see from the reactions that one is in order. Making a chandelier of any kind is not difficult, but there are some steps involved. In this project there are more than the normal list of supplies...mostly because these are hanging...and they are glass. I wanted the weight of the lights to be distributed out a little further on the glass, and the openings were large so therefore, I used washers. The tutorial for this project is going to have to be pretty detailed...but really not difficult. Each bottle is made a little different, so if you are going to do this...you may want to do what I did...take your bottles...and sit down in the isle of your hardware store...and play with different washers and nuts till you get the mix right. I will amend my post on the website...and show you the parts involved, and how I

To see more: http://www.dejavuedesigns.com/decantor-chandelier/#

53 Comments Displaying 15 of 53 comments | See Previous
  • Juneolsen United Kingdom
    Thanks Tammy!!
  • Liz @ Aqua Elephant Kimberling City, MO
    Love your idea, it's beautiful!!
  • Thank You Liz @ Aqua Elephant !
  • Beautiful!
  • John Reling Johnson, VT
    Beautiful idea! and wonderful lights! thank you for sharing!
  • Valerie South Africa
    These are beautiful!
  • Such a neat idea!
  • Thanks Claudia of Mockingbird Hill Cottage ! It was a lot of fun to make!
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    OOHH Tammy@Deja Vue Designs These are wonderful!! This goes into my someday collection! How beautiful they are.♥ Miriam I Wouldn't something like this work in your apt? Je pense, que oui!
  • Thank You Bernice H . I can't wait to see your light when you decide to do one!
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    Well.Tammy@Deja Vue Designs .....don't hold your breath dear....it is not me that will have to do it! ha !Sometimes I wish I had beaucoup money so i could hire things done!
  • LOL Bernice H ....sometimes I do too! lol
  • Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    Gorgeous