Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 4 days ago

soda bottle tower for plants

What a great way to recycle soda bottles to make a hydroponic tower for your herbs and veggies! Watch the instructional video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uDbjZ9roEQ

31 Comments Displaying 15 of 31 comments | See Previous
  • Marilyn M Roseburg, OR
    Interesting idea. I've seen single ones but none like this. Clever. We too are on a well and that is a great idea to save water. And I do believe that the condensation will help as well to water.
  • Raylee Australia
    That is great as I have a very small garden , I will try that ...
  • Kathy T Rainbow City, AL
    I work in a restaurant, we throw away tons of plastic one gallon mayonnaise jugs. I might have to leave all the lids on and drill 3 or 4 small holes. I bet this would be neat for strawberries. Like raised beds, only easier to put together. I'm gonna' try
  • Dawn M Walker Niceville, FL
    Its a great way to recycle.....and for those that don't use bottles I bet your kids can find some at the neighbors house or those recycle bins! The colored bottles would keep it even 'greener'! Thanks for sharing this idea. (I use bottles sunken in my
  • Tricia Huntersville, NC
    What a Fantastick Idea & Video!! Well done! We don't use plastic, But the previous Idea for pvc piping might work for us...I have a friend who will luv this idea Too...thank you!
  • Dont' forget freecycle.org, you can post to get bottles from other people.
  • Excellent video production!!!!
  • Cindy M Ashland, KY
    Awesome I'm gonna do this!!
  • Ruth Black Santa Barbara, CA
    I think that when sun hits the plastic containers a chemical is released into the water and it is not fit for human consumption. UVs break down the bottles. Can you say for sure that the food grown in the water in these bottles is safe? Thanks
  • Neena Desens Port Orange, FL
    I love this idea. I can't have a garden in my yard, this would be beneficial for me.
  • Lindaapries Benton Harbor, MI
    Seems like a fairly expensive system to create if you have no non-returnable bottles to use. Water doesn't cost me anything, but the bottles would.
  • Kris Larson West Lafayette, IN
    I've heard leaving plastic water bottles in cars and them heating up makes the water in those bottles dangerous to drink, how does this not happen with the dirt and water that is used to hydrate these plants? How does that work?
  • Paula D Charlottesville, VA
    Leaving bottles in the heat does NOT make them dangerous. If you google this you will see that it is a myth. There is another chemical that can leech out into the water but it is in such small amounts it isn't considered dangerous. That chemical is
  • Ruth Black Santa Barbara, CA
    Most single-use beverage bottles sold in the United States are made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a substance tested extensively for safety. There is some evidence that heat can cause bisphenol A (BPA), a compound that's been shown to have