Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Cleaning Tips 09.27.14

Make Your Own Fridge Liners!

The fridge is a place where spills, goo, and grime are imminent. It's as if food fights happen in the night as we sleep. These easy DIY fridge coasters are inexpensive and make cleaning the fridge easy and efficient. By installing plastic placemats onto shelves and into condiment containers, there is no longer any need for hauling out large, awkward shelves (which, let's face it, do not fit into most sinks). Simply slip out the placemat, wipe it down and re-install! Easy, efficient and - happily enough - kind of pretty!

Check out the blog link if you want to see the details on my "before". Trust me, it will make you feel better about your own fridge situation. #springcleaning #pinteresthack

Time: 15 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.suburble.com/2013/03/got-slop-make-your-own-fridge-coasters.html

8325 on Apr 05, 2013
26 Comments Displaying 15 of 26 comments | See Previous
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    Oh yes Tara @ Suburble. I totally agree with you. I did not mentioned it to you earlier, but it is very nice of you to have shared the idea. :)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Gwen Campbell
    Well, I couldn't find any placemats I like, so I bought a plastic tablecloth. I am going to try it. We will see if it works. I'll let you know.
  • Tara @ Suburble
    Gwen - I'm sure that the plastic tablecloths will work; they may bunch a bit, but if the material is stiff enough, you could probably get away with it. You don't want to be stuck with a pattern that you don't like. Think about how many times you open the
  • Luga Groff
    Luga Groff Merchantville, NJ
    And how cheap can you buy these for??? Try the Dollar stores....
  • Tara @ Suburble
    The dollar store is a great idea, Luga! :)
  • Gwen Campbell
    I cut up my pink polka dotted tablecloth and put it in the fridge. It works great. And I tend to be neater for some reason with a colorful liner on the shelves. LOL. It will bunch up if you slide stuff across it, but I have learned not to do that.
  • Tara @ Suburble
    Gwen! That looks awesome! I hear you on wanting to be neater now that you have a little "flair" on the shelves. Great "hack" of the placemat liners! :)
  • Sharon @ mrs. hines class
    great idea!
  • Frankieh
    Frankieh Grain Valley, MO
    I used the clear vinyl shelf liner in my fridge.
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    I once heard a good tip that was to line the salad crisper drawer with newspaper so that you just replace the paper when you need to and don't have to slide the plastic box out to wash it out every week. This is great if you tend to buy lettuce with the
  • Tara @ Suburble
    Great idea, Carole. I'm sure that paper towel would work well too!
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    Thanks Tara, I think your plastic placemats are a practical and cheery colourful aid in keeping the fridge clean. A good idea I reckon!
  • Barbara I
    Barbara I Raleigh, NC
    I saw this idea and I was shopping at a box store and they had a shower curtain liner for $3 and so I cut it up for the shelves, drawers and the door. Yes it took a little bit to do, but it looks so much better. Thank you for the idea.
  • Tara @ Suburble
    Barbara I - What a clever idea! It's amazing how quickly the fridge can be transformed! You'll have to let me know how the liners are for clean-up purposes! Your idea could be an even less expensive one than the placemats!
Tara @ Suburble