Make Your Own Fridge Liners!

The fridge is a place where spills, goo, and grime are imminent. It's as if food fights happen in the night as we sleep. These easy DIY fridge coasters are inexpensive and make cleaning the fridge easy and efficient. By installing plastic placemats onto shelves and into condiment containers, there is no longer any need for hauling out large, awkward shelves (which, let's face it, do not fit into most sinks). Simply slip out the placemat, wipe it down and re-install! Easy, efficient and - happily enough - kind of pretty!

Check out the blog link if you want to see the details on my "before". Trust me, it will make you feel better about your own fridge situation. #springcleaning #pinteresthack

Time: 15 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy
  • Assess the situation: does your fridge look anything like mine? Is spinach trying to escape from the crisper?
  • Gather plastic placemats (I used 6). These are easily found at big box stores (especially in Spring and Summer months)
  • Fit placemats onto shelves. Cut or layer them! Installation is easy!
  • Cut placemats into smaller sections for the fridge door. This is where condiments normally "party", so liners are helpful here.
  • Admire your colourful and beautiful fridge.
  • Should any food decide to get crazy, you can now just pull out the placemat and quickly wipe it down. No need to remove heavy shelves!

To see more: http://www.suburble.com/2013/03/got-slop-make-your-own-fridge-coasters.html

• Nancy
    Nancy Monroe, NC
    I had several left over vinyl tablecloths, I have cut to fit, Is there anything to attach to keep the vinyl from slipping as you remove items from fridge?
    • Tara @ Suburble
      Nancy Ahhh.... that might be trickier. I used stiff vinyl placemats, so they didn't move easily.
  • Tara @ Suburble
    Barbara I - What a clever idea! It's amazing how quickly the fridge can be transformed! You'll have to let me know how the liners are for clean-up purposes! Your idea could be an even less expensive one than the placemats!
  • Barbara I
    Barbara I Raleigh, NC
    I saw this idea and I was shopping at a box store and they had a shower curtain liner for $3 and so I cut it up for the shelves, drawers and the door. Yes it took a little bit to do, but it looks so much better. Thank you for the idea.
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    Thanks Tara, I think your plastic placemats are a practical and cheery colourful aid in keeping the fridge clean. A good idea I reckon!
  • Tara @ Suburble
    Great idea, Carole. I'm sure that paper towel would work well too!
  • Carole
    Carole Australia
    I once heard a good tip that was to line the salad crisper drawer with newspaper so that you just replace the paper when you need to and don't have to slide the plastic box out to wash it out every week. This is great if you tend to buy lettuce with the
Tara @ Suburble