Why does my house smell like sewer every time it rains?

02.15.16
Here I am again with an "old house" problem! Every time it rains hard my house smells like sewer and I am at a loss as to the cause. I put in a new sump pump, had the septic tank cleaned, and constantly check the two basement floor drains for any back-up, but nothing seems to stop the smell -- it goes away the day after the rain stops! I want to call a plumber, but would really like to have some idea as to what the problem might be before I get someone here so I can feel comfortable about what they say needs to be done. HELP!

• Stevo1025
    stevo1025 Forney, TX
    I have been experiencing this same issue and don't have a septic tank. It seems to come from the A/C registers in the ceiling, but only certain ones. I don't know who to call...plumber, HVAC, General Contractor? The smell is very foul and only started
    • Mike k
      Mike k Burke, VA
      Hi Stevo, did you ever figure out what was causing the smell?
  • Barb Chapman
    Barb Chapman West Simsbury, CT
    You don't necessarily need bleach. If it's a p-trap that has dried out from non-use, you just need to run water down that drain for a while (maybe 5 minutes depending on the faucet tap) every 6 months or so. (Play it by ear - it depends on the size of
  • Debra R Fisher Dailey
    When it rains it smells like septic in my house
  • Judykelly7
    I have a septic smell every time it rains
Donna R