Why does my house smell like sewer every time it rains?

04.18.15
Here I am again with an "old house" problem! Every time it rains hard my house smells like sewer and I am at a loss as to the cause. I put in a new sump pump, had the septic tank cleaned, and constantly check the two basement floor drains for any back-up, but nothing seems to stop the smell -- it goes away the day after the rain stops! I want to call a plumber, but would really like to have some idea as to what the problem might be before I get someone here so I can feel comfortable about what they say needs to be done. HELP!
  • Erin Long
    Erin Long Mount Pleasant, NC
    I am having this problem. My landord has been out and dug up the septic tank to reveal that it was leaking. He had it repaired but the smell still remains. Is this smell toxic for my family?
  • Cheryl Waltman-Navarrete
    Cheryl Waltman-Navarrete Fountain Valley, CA
    I live in an apt with a dirt filled backyard. It finally rained the other night and now it smells bad in backyard what should I do?
    • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
      Cheryl Waltman-Navarrete just sent you a quick hint on asking questions that you will find useful
  • Rachel
    Rachel Tahuya, WA
    Water building up in the soil causing the bad smell makes sense but how can I find out for sure where the smell is coming from. If it's the soil then how do I know for sure where to dump the bleach? It's not exactly super cheap to buy s lot of bleach
  • Shirley McElmurray
    Shirley McElmurray Augusta, GA
    I don't have a septic tank, but, have that awful sewer smell in the house. Could it be from using drano and have it setting in the sink till it goes down?
  • Stevo1025
    stevo1025 Forney, TX
    I have been experiencing this same issue and don't have a septic tank. It seems to come from the A/C registers in the ceiling, but only certain ones. I don't know who to call...plumber, HVAC, General Contractor? The smell is very foul and only started
Donna R