Hometalk.com

Why does my house smell like sewer every time it rains?

Here I am again with an "old house" problem! Every time it rains hard my house smells like sewer and I am at a loss as to the cause. I put in a new sump pump, had the septic tank cleaned, and constantly check the two basement floor drains for any back-up, but nothing seems to stop the smell -- it goes away the day after the rain stops! I want to call a plumber, but would really like to have some idea as to what the problem might be before I get someone here so I can feel comfortable about what they say needs to be done. HELP!
7 Comments Displaying 7 of 7 comments
  • Donna, you mention you have a septic system. Where is the location of yor leach field? It is possible that if it is in a depression of some sort then the rain water is mixing with it. Another possiblility is that the sump pump is pulling water in from
  • Although you have cleaned the septic, installed a new sump pump. Is the soil below the house contaminated? If the old sewer pipe had failed in the past and sewage entered into the drainage system of the basement and contaminated the soil this could
  • Julia M Coatesville, PA
    I had a very similar issue in an old house a few years ago - long story short, it ended up being a corroded leaking old sewer main line directly under the kitchen floor which was torn up by the next owner and discovered! While I was there and had the
  • Southern Trillium LLC Stone Mountain, GA
    Woodbridge gives some great points. We helped a friend several years ago who was experiencing similar problems. The lady had just had all new field lines installed. Then she began noticing a sewage smell every time it rained. There was a working sump
  • Terry & Maureen Warsaw, IN
    Ok, here's one for the books: never had the problem till we moved to the country. Had a new septic system put in, and since then we have a stench every time it rains hard. +A lot of water pooling under the house (manufactured home). Dug it out and
  • Just seal off the sump pit. I had the septic leach issue and this works for now. Sewers coming in 2 years so I can wait. Great house and property .. worth it.
  • Erin Long Mount Pleasant, NC
    I am having this problem. My landord has been out and dug up the septic tank to reveal that it was leaking. He had it repaired but the smell still remains. Is this smell toxic for my family?
  • Like

Guthrie Abbott