Under mount s/s kitchen sink coming loose from granite!?

03.15.15
My turn for a real tough question! I have a KWC s/s under mount sink with granite counter tops, originally installed 7 years ago. About 2-3 years ago, I had to address this issue - the sink coming loose, so when you rinse out the sink .. it drops down into the sink cabinet.

I had a granite fabricator that came out (paid him $250), cleaned the surfaces and reattached it. We once again had to wait 24hrs before my husband reconnected the sink.

Here we are 2yrs later.. the SAME thing is happening. *sigh* I certainly don't want to go through forking out $2-300 for the same thing .. to only have the same thing happen again. Besides, wondering now if my husband can do it (better?!?). Thanks in advance...

• Dow
    Dow Suwanee, GA
    there is a new product out called Cinclips. they attach to the cabinet and up to sink and will never fail if installed as instructed. no glue no drilling, no problems ever.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    They do not use screws, They use brass inserts. These are tiny pipe shaped fittings that have bolt threads on the inside and a rough surface on the out. The fabricator drills holes that are ever so slightly larger then these fittings. Then using a two
  • Sofia Yen
    gosh, would love to know as mine's also stainless steel and granite
  • Ulises Huerta
    Ulises Huerta Chicago, IL
    Hello... I just experienced the same problem as Bobby, my kitchen sink also fell, the sink I have is stainless steel and the my countertops are granite. Is there a special paste that goes into the screws?
    I agree with KMS on this the correct method is to prep properly refasten and support. What type of sink @Bobby Daniels are we taking about? There are just as many methods to fix as there are sinks.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Bobby Daniels The normal fix is to pull it all the way down clean up the surfaces and then reattach with fresh adhesive.
  • Bobby Daniels
    Bobby Daniels Douglasville, GA
    How do we repair a kitchen sink that has come apart from granite ?, the whole sink dropped .
  • Mills Tile & Granite
    Mills Tile & Granite Sacramento, CA
    for all that don't know, just cut your plywood ruff top (wood the granite itself is glued to) 1/4" short of your template of your sink, set your sink, set your granite on top and your done. never separate never a problem. FYI for bad installers. if you
    Your correct BeckySue. You do not want to rely solely on the adhesive by itself. Using blocking to support the sink where ever you can is the desired method of proper support.
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    just an update .. my husband fixed this.. used PL400 from Home Depot and clamped it and let it dry for 24 hours before we reconnected the sink. In addition we blocks along the sides (bracing it with 2x4s to the sink floor until they dried) and
    • PSF
      PSF Rockwell, NC
      Designs by BSB Becky - sounds like I am having similar issues - I have GRANITE composite under mount sink installed on granite counter top and earlier today something did not
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    here is a pic I found online...that shows the 2 x4 across the top of the counter, in this case they are using squeeze clamps....a F clamp is a type of bar clamp.
    you may need to use a hand angle grinder with a sanding disk to clean the old adhesive off of the sink and top. It will also roughen up the surface so the new glue will bite better and hold longer. You do not want a smooth surface to adhere the sink to.
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Not knowing what they used to glue it previously.. any advice to what product I should use to clean it?

I will share photos when this happens (soon) .. hopefully others will learn from it too!

• Nichter's Home Services Corp
    I have seen three different ways of attaching a sink undermounted to the granite.

a couple are probably beyond practical at this point.

• Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    I can't visual the F clamp, but I will tell my husband about it.
Designs by BSB