Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
clean freak 07.15.14

Mopping With Vinegar - Safe For Most Floor Types & Tips For Success

Mopping your floors with Vinegar is safe for most all floor types including wood floors. You should NOT use it on marble or stone though as it will cause it to "pit". Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and not to mention that you can save money on buying the expensive cleaners.

To get started make sure to sweep your floor thoroughly before mopping. Mopping a floor with crumbs still on it can cause the starches in the crumbs to turn to gluten and create spots that are very difficult to clean. Mix together 1/4 cup of white vinegar with a 1 quart of water in your bucket. Mop in small sections and when you need to rinse your mop try to rinse it in the sink before putting it back into your vinegar solution so you are not putting the dirt into the clean solution. Allow the floor to air dry and when it's dry, it should be streak free with no vinegar odor. Be sure that you wring your mop well - standing water can damage wood floors.

White vinegar doesn't smell pretty but it isn't toxic for you. You can add a few drops of essential oils and not only will it make your vinegar smell better it will also increase the disinfection power.

Another idea is to make one of these citrus vinegar solutions:

To see more: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2013/02/mopping-with-vinegar-safe-for-all-floor-types/

6 Comments Displaying 6 of 6 comments
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I would not suggest you use this on wood floors. It will etch and damage them. Wood floors finish is to protect the wood once that finish is etched it starts damaging. First it becomes cloudy and then it damages. The underneath of wood is not finished.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Sheila E
    Sheila E Suffolk, VA
    Vinegar will also etch stone. Vinegar and water is best used on laminates, like Pergo , vinyls and maybe ceramics. Actually, with laminates you don't want to use anything else other than water or water and vinegar because the rest will make the flooring
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    It will also cause damage to travertine tile. It will cause it to crumble.vinegar has its place in cleaning but it is not a cleaning tool for everything. I always go to the manufacture before I clean something new. Because it is my job to make sure I am
  • Carla Swanson
    Carla Swanson Edmonds, WA
    the installers of my swedish finish floors emphacized to me to ONLY use VINEGAR diluted to clean them. 7 years later, even the kitchen floor looks good.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I did pull up the Manufactory cleaning guidelines on your flooring. It depends on which method they use. But in some of the methods it does say vinegar. I was surprised. But I always follow the manufactory guidelines.
  • Onta
    The floor people I use that puts real made wood floors that they finish after they are down told me to not use anything but 1 cap of vinegar in gallon of water on my wood floors.and on tile also..
Stockpiling Moms

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!