Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 03.11.14

Update a Basement Staircase with paint!

Our depressing basement stairwell got a facelift with board and batten on the concrete walls and a new coat of paint on the steps. I ripped up the old carpeting, pulled out all the staples and painted the treads with Sherwin Williams enamel paint with SharkGrip added to make it non-skid. The risers were painted different shades of blue/green/purple with all the leftover paint samples from our basement remodel. We had a carpenter cover the block wall with sheetrock and add the board and batten treatment.

Love the way this project brightened our basement!

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2013/03/painted-basement-steps-with-board-and-batten/

30 Comments Displaying 15 of 30 comments | See Previous
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    clear carpet protector too, just cut to size :) this way the paint color still comes through.
  • This is so pretty, bright and fun now!!
  • Beth B Birmingham, AL
    I added a few new pics to this post!
  • Beth--I love this project :) way to go!
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    I didn't think it could get any better, but it did!
  • Love what you've done!
  • Oh wow what a difference, so bright and inviting! I love it!
  • Janel Hutton Cushing, WI
    Oh pretty pretty!! Loving this look!
  • The Bold Abode Forest, VA
    Fantastic, Beth! Your stairs are amazeballs!
  • Beth, what an amazing transformation! Love the pics! -Matt
  • Lori Cook Curtis Ballston Spa, NY
    You cant clean them with that shark grip in them.
  • Carolyn Doherty Becker, MN
    My stairwell steps are all white and I love the look. However they do need to be washed every now and then. I'm thinking of painting the middle of the steps a color we have and have it look like a runner. The white does take a bit of a beating. You did a
  • Bagwell's Home Services Snellville, GA
    very nicely done!
  • Melissa B Forney, TX
    How beautiful. Very formal on the downward view... fun and whimsical on the upward view. It must make you smile everytime you look at it! Nice job!
  • Stephanie Sidney, NE
    Love the colorful look! Does the Shark grip make the stairs hard to clean? Is it sort of like sand added to the paint? A few people have mentioned that to me, so I am hesitant to use texture if I can't clean them. My stairs are directly upon entering