Update a Basement Staircase with paint!

Basement Stairs 6 days ago
Our depressing basement stairwell got a facelift with board and batten on the concrete walls and a new coat of paint on the steps. I ripped up the old carpeting, pulled out all the staples and painted the treads with Sherwin Williams enamel paint with SharkGrip added to make it non-skid. The risers were painted different shades of blue/green/purple with all the leftover paint samples from our basement remodel. We had a carpenter cover the block wall with sheetrock and add the board and batten treatment.
Love the way this project brightened our basement!
#BasementIdeas
Colorful staircase- we had lots of paint samples to use. :)
Close up of painted basement staircase
"Before" of staircase looking down
"During" photo of staircase with carpet removed and concrete block wall covered with sheetrock and board and batten.
"After" of staircase looking down (with board and batten)
Painted staircase with board and batten
Sharkgrip- buy it at Lowes or Sherwin Williams, add it to paint to make wood stairs nonskid. Highly recommend it!

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2013/03/painted-basement-steps-with-board-and-batten/

• Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    I didn't think it could get any better, but it did!
  • Marie @ The Interior Frugalista
    Love what you've done!
  • Laurie @ Vin'yet Etc.
    Oh wow what a difference, so bright and inviting! I love it!
  • Janel Hutton
    Janel Hutton Stillwater, MN
    Oh pretty pretty!! Loving this look!
  • The Bold Abode
    The Bold Abode Forest, VA
    Fantastic, Beth! Your stairs are amazeballs!
  • Jacque & Matt @ theDIYvillage.com
    Beth, what an amazing transformation! Love the pics! -Matt
  • Lori Cook Curtis
    Lori Cook Curtis Ballston Spa, NY
    You cant clean them with that shark grip in them.
  • Carolyn Doherty
    Carolyn Doherty Becker, MN
    My stairwell steps are all white and I love the look. However they do need to be washed every now and then. I'm thinking of painting the middle of the steps a color we have and have it look like a runner. The white does take a bit of a beating. You did a
  • Bagwell's Home Services
    Bagwell's Home Services Snellville, GA
    very nicely done!
  • Melissa B
    Melissa B Forney, TX
    How beautiful. Very formal on the downward view... fun and whimsical on the upward view. It must make you smile everytime you look at it! Nice job!
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie Sidney, NE
    Love the colorful look! Does the Shark grip make the stairs hard to clean? Is it sort of like sand added to the paint? A few people have mentioned that to me, so I am hesitant to use texture if I can't clean them. My stairs are directly upon entering
  • Lucid Designs
    Lucid Designs Memphis, TN
    This is adorable, and I love that you used up your sample color pots!
  • Debra Woodard
    Debra Woodard Douglasville, GA
    Is the colored paint flat or semi-gloss? how is the white holding up to traffic? thanks!
  • Tracy S
    Tracy S Gardner, MA
    May sound like a stupid question what is batten? I'm new to this. Really want to get of the ratty looking rugs on it
  • B. enne
    b. enne Canada
    Looks really good. I did something similar by tying in the colours of my different rooms on the risers for a cohesive look in my home...cheap art!
Beth at Unskinny Boppy