Update a Basement Staircase with paint!

Cottage basement 01.23.16
Our depressing basement stairwell got a facelift with board and batten on the concrete walls and a new coat of paint on the steps. I ripped up the old carpeting, pulled out all the staples and painted the treads with Sherwin Williams enamel paint with SharkGrip added to make it non-skid. The risers were painted different shades of blue/green/purple with all the leftover paint samples from our basement remodel. We had a carpenter cover the block wall with sheetrock and add the board and batten treatment.
Love the way this project brightened our basement!
#BasementIdeas
Colorful staircase- we had lots of paint samples to use. :)
Close up of painted basement staircase
"Before" of staircase looking down
"During" photo of staircase with carpet removed and concrete block wall covered with sheetrock and board and batten.
"After" of staircase looking down (with board and batten)
Painted staircase with board and batten
Sharkgrip- buy it at Lowes or Sherwin Williams, add it to paint to make wood stairs nonskid. Highly recommend it!

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2013/03/painted-basement-steps-with-board-and-batten/

on This Post

• Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    I didn't think it could get any better, but it did!
  • Gail--My Repurposed Life
    Beth--I love this project :) way to go!
  • Beth at Unskinny Boppy
    Beth at Unskinny Boppy Birmingham, AL
    I added a few new pics to this post!
  • Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage
    This is so pretty, bright and fun now!!
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    clear carpet protector too, just cut to size :) this way the paint color still comes through.
  • BONNIE J
    LYNNN--NOTE DEE--2 UP.
  • Lynn S
    Lynn S Thousand Oaks, CA
    Love this...but how do you keep paint from wearing off the stairs?
  • BONNIE J
    FANTASTIC!
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    I like that you kept the top tread boards all the same color. We've painted our basement stairs also and then to prevent wear we installed rubber tread to the top of each step-covers the middle so there is still color to be seen.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    I like the different look of the angles "up" and "down"
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    great use of samples...I love the color palette too.
  • Sandy H
    Sandy H Moravia, NY
    We still have done nothing with our basement stairs... Now I know exactly what to do..... and it will introduce everyone to all the colors of the house.....PERFECT!!!!
  • Theresa B
    Theresa B Richmond, VA
    i like it
  • Petra R
    Petra R Puyallup, WA
    Love it....we are in the process of replacing our worn out carpets in the house and only have 1 room left to go and then the stairs. We were just going to replace the carpet, but I am liking this Idea much better....beautiful color palette BTW...very nice
  • Melissa C
    Melissa C Richton Park, IL
    I JUST HAD NEW STEPS PUT IN...I HAVEN'T PAINTED YET, THANKS FOR A GREAT IDEA!
Beth at Unskinny Boppy