Update a Basement Staircase with paint!

stairs 08.15.15
Our depressing basement stairwell got a facelift with board and batten on the concrete walls and a new coat of paint on the steps. I ripped up the old carpeting, pulled out all the staples and painted the treads with Sherwin Williams enamel paint with SharkGrip added to make it non-skid. The risers were painted different shades of blue/green/purple with all the leftover paint samples from our basement remodel. We had a carpenter cover the block wall with sheetrock and add the board and batten treatment.
Love the way this project brightened our basement!
#BasementIdeas
Colorful staircase- we had lots of paint samples to use. :)
Close up of painted basement staircase
"Before" of staircase looking down
"During" photo of staircase with carpet removed and concrete block wall covered with sheetrock and board and batten.
"After" of staircase looking down (with board and batten)
Painted staircase with board and batten
Sharkgrip- buy it at Lowes or Sherwin Williams, add it to paint to make wood stairs nonskid. Highly recommend it!

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2013/03/painted-basement-steps-with-board-and-batten/

• Debra Woodard
    Debra Woodard Douglasville, GA
    Is the colored paint flat or semi-gloss? how is the white holding up to traffic? thanks!
  • Tracy S
    Tracy S Gardner, MA
    May sound like a stupid question what is batten? I'm new to this. Really want to get of the ratty looking rugs on it
  • B. Enne
    B. Enne Canada
    Looks really good. I did something similar by tying in the colours of my different rooms on the risers for a cohesive look in my home...cheap art!
  • Mary Byrne
    Mary Byrne Doylestown, PA
    Beth at Unskinny Boppy this project turned out wonderful. Does the Shark Grip on the stairs make it ruff, or is it barley noticeable when walking on in bare feet?
  • Ildardaine
    I like the idea of different colors and also think the colors chosen are very well combined.
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

Search Feedback