My bottle 'sun' or 'star'

garden 09.14.15
My bottle 'sun' or 'star', depending on what time of day it 4 garden, no breakage problems, buried in sand. Recycled wine, beer, and liquor bottles:)
Time: 2 Hours Difficulty: Easy
Bottle 'sun' in my gazebo in the center of my veggie garden. Zone 4, no breakage...has been buried for a couple of years. Old grind stone in the center.
First I chose the spot in the center of the new garden. I laid out the 'point', then dug the bottle in upside down...whole. I had an old grindstone that I used for the center. I used a post hole digger, shovel, and rubber mallet.
The bottles all can easily make adjustments in the sandy soil. I used a 2" by 4" and a level to get the bottles aligned to the same height.
I filled with sand to bring the ground level up to where I wanted it...just and inch or so from the top of the bottles.
I spread pea gravel on top to finish the sun off.
This summer I added a 'door mat'!
Here is the final view. The bottle sun is under the pergola (which has been taken over by hops!).
  • Debra
    Debra Topeka, KS
    Your photos are amazing! I really admire all your hard work, garden whimsy designs and wonderful flowers. Just fantastic, I am gushing. How did you make your glass piece on the iron pole? How did you make the green door and red door stand up-blocks of
    • Ursula Owens
      Ursula Owens Lewiston, MI
      Debra The glass marbles are on a piece of copper...I bought that at a craft show. My husband installed the doors...he buried the 4x4 wood pieces down a couple feet deep, created the
  • Johanna Buckley
    Johanna Buckley Torrington, CT
    I love this!! It doesn't seem difficult to make either!!
  • Kathryn F. Moore
    Kathryn F. Moore Jacksonville, FL
    I agree with Debra. Your yard is a paradise and I want to just go there and relax. But first I want to make your bottle star. Do you create 99% of your time? Your work is amazing and I am jealous of your talent.
  • Diane Blank
    Diane Blank Ocala, FL
    have been decorating my garden with wine bottles as a border and have quite a few left. Thanks for such a creative idea, I know just what to do with them! I appreciate you sharing.
  • Cyndi Neumann
    Cyndi Neumann Warne, NC
    Beautiful outcome!

Smiles, cyndi

Ursula Owens

Search Feedback