My bottle 'sun' or 'star'

Garden Ideas 5 days ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
My bottle 'sun' or 'star', depending on what time of day it 4 garden, no breakage problems, buried in sand. Recycled wine, beer, and liquor bottles:)
Time: 2 Hours Difficulty: Easy
Bottle 'sun' in my gazebo in the center of my veggie garden. Zone 4, no breakage...has been buried for a couple of years. Old grind stone in the center.
First I chose the spot in the center of the new garden. I laid out the 'point', then dug the bottle in upside down...whole. I had an old grindstone that I used for the center. I used a post hole digger, shovel, and rubber mallet.
The bottles all can easily make adjustments in the sandy soil. I used a 2" by 4" and a level to get the bottles aligned to the same height.
I filled with sand to bring the ground level up to where I wanted it...just and inch or so from the top of the bottles.
I spread pea gravel on top to finish the sun off.
This summer I added a 'door mat'!
Here is the final view. The bottle sun is under the pergola (which has been taken over by hops!).
  • Debra
    Debra Topeka, KS
    Your photos are amazing! I really admire all your hard work, garden whimsy designs and wonderful flowers. Just fantastic, I am gushing. How did you make your glass piece on the iron pole? How did you make the green door and red door stand up-blocks of
    • Ursula Owens
      Ursula Owens Lewiston, MI
      Debra The glass marbles are on a piece of copper...I bought that at a craft show. My husband installed the doors...he buried the 4x4 wood pieces down a couple feet deep, created the
  • Johanna Buckley
    Johanna Buckley Torrington, CT
    I love this!! It doesn't seem difficult to make either!!
  • Kathryn F. Moore
    Kathryn F. Moore Jacksonville, FL
    I agree with Debra. Your yard is a paradise and I want to just go there and relax. But first I want to make your bottle star. Do you create 99% of your time? Your work is amazing and I am jealous of your talent.
  • Diane Blank
    Diane Blank Ocala, FL
    have been decorating my garden with wine bottles as a border and have quite a few left. Thanks for such a creative idea, I know just what to do with them! I appreciate you sharing.
  • Cyndi Neumann
    Cyndi Neumann Warne, NC
    Beautiful outcome!

Smiles, cyndi

Ursula Owens

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post