Hometalk.com

35 Comments Displaying 15 of 35 comments | See Previous
  • Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    I will try to answer the questions about hellebores and winterberry. Hellebores come in many shades of white, maroon, green and speckled too. In my garden they are blooming early this year. The 20th Annual Hellebore Days at Piccadilly Farm is
  • Judith B Loganville, GA
    Erica, is the Poet's Laurel ever referred to as "Jerusalem Cherry' or something similar? Used to have that in my garden and loved it. Moved away without taking any with me. Katie (Loganville, GA)
  • Leslie D Atlanta, GA
    Erica, thanks so much for the info on Hellebore Days!
  • I love the name Poet's Laurel. Is there a story with that name?
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Here is an interesting tidbit about the Latin name for Poet's Laurel, Danae racemosa: In Greek mythology, an oracle declared that Danaë, the daughter of Acrisius, would give birth to a son, who would kill his grandfather. For this reason Acrisius kept
  • Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    @Douglans thanks for the information about the derivation of Danae racemosa. I love the evergreen fountain of foliage it produces and the way it tolerates dry shade!
  • Denise B Lebanon, MO
    moved to missouri, from AZ and knew what to grow there year round, not sure here though with the different climant, if you could offer some advice would like to know what could grow here?
  • Marcia G Norman, OK
    I LIVE IN OKLA. AND MY HELLEBORES HAVE BEEN IN ABOUT EIGHT YEARS. I PLANTED THREE AND THEY NOW COVER MY FLOWERBED. THEY WENT THROUGH DROUGHT, ICE SNOW ETC. UNDERMY GIANT WHITE LILAC WITH LOT OF LEAVESON THE NORTH SIDE OF MY HOME.THEY ARE GORGEOUS
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    @Denise: If you re-post your question as a new question using the box at the top of the page, you will get more answers. It would also help us if you tell us something about your growing conditions, light vs. shade, for example, and what type of plants
  • Rose S Marietta, GA
    Shirley R - we both are in Marietta, so I'd be glad to share some of my dark red/almost purple Hellebore's with you. I have lots of small plants and you are welcome to have some.
  • Diane B Dublin, GA
    Gardners are such wonderful, generous and loveable people. Sharing advice, abundance and encouragement is part of the payback for getting friendly with Mother Nature and digging in the dirt. : )
  • Shirley R Marietta, GA
    Thanks, I will have to get some in color to add to my white!! Also are you famillial with a red/white ie: candy cane color camellia the name I have seen one and it was beautiful... Thanks for you help... Hope that it is warmer there than it is here in
  • Marcia G Norman, OK
    I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW PROLIFIC THEY ARE.
  • Marcia G Norman, OK
    WHAT KIND OF GRASS GROWS AND BLENDS WITH BERMUDA BUT GROWS IN THE SHADE.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Marcia, you will get better answers if you re-post your question as a new question. However, I will tell you if you have a significant amount of shade, no grass will be happy there. Even the most shade-tolerant turf grass needs about six hours a day of sun.
  • Likes

Joanieshand Rujana H Ruby B Kay D Sue Linda B Becky G Victoria Krystyna E Glenda H Rhino Shield By Georgia Coatings