DIY Shag Rag Rug {Tutorial}

fun for girls 5 hours ago
I have spent the past 4 weeks making a Shag Rag Rug for Riley's nursery and am thrilled to say that it's finally complete!! It was one of the easiest projects I've ever done; however it was by far the most time consuming, but it was WELL worth it!!! It turned out better than I imagined and looks just like the ones that retail for $600+
Checkout my DIY Shag Rag Rug Tutorial!! I hope you enjoy!
Cost: $110 Difficulty: Easy
Cut Fabric into 5" by 1" strips
Weave Fabric under one of the holes and back up through another hole (I weaved the fabric in a vertical direction). I left one row of holes empty on all sides.
Pull the fabric so that it’s even on both sides and tie it into a knot (this will hold the fabric in place)
If you are using two colors then you should alternate colors as you go.
Continue adding Fabric Strips alternating colors as you go. It will look bare at first but the more rows you add the fuller it will get. Here is what it looks like after adding two rows of fabric
This is how your DIY Shag Rag Rug will look upclose
This is a completed version of my Shag Rug on wood floors
A picture of how it looks on carpet

To see more: http://www.myloveofstyle.com/2013/04/10/diy-shag-rag-rug-tutorial/

on This Post

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY Menahga, MN
    I saved your post about this awhile back off of your blog, I loved it! Since, with canvas, I've been working on our own rug (its going to be 8x6) serious kudos to you!! This is a very time consuming project! lol Love the idea though and I know it will be
  • Sally-Charles Evans
    Sally-Charles Evans Mayfield, KY
    My grandma did rag rugs long ago....She used a large crochet hook and pulled the strip of fabric through and looped it with the hook. The same effect.......beautiful!
  • Jill Ron Pike
    Jill Ron Pike Payneville, KY
    I remember using a crochet hook and yarn when I did a pillow for a child's room. Then I got a kit for a tree skirt that had a rug hook tool with it..so much less time consuming than tweezers or crochet hooks. The fabric would be looped rather than
  • Roberta Honeycutt
    Roberta Honeycutt Cameron, MO
    Simply beautiful!
  • Mary
    Mary Clarksburg, WV
    I've done this for years using a latch hook instead of tying each one. I also use latch hook canvas from Jo Ann's and turn four rows under to start edges. Soak and spin to wash, dry in dryer. You will get a lot of lint the first time. I wash before using
Jessica