Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

DIY Shag Rag Rug {Tutorial}

Decorating 2 days ago
I have spent the past 4 weeks making a Shag Rag Rug for Riley's nursery and am thrilled to say that it's finally complete!! It was one of the easiest projects I've ever done; however it was by far the most time consuming, but it was WELL worth it!!! It turned out better than I imagined and looks just like the ones that retail for $600+
Checkout my DIY Shag Rag Rug Tutorial!! I hope you enjoy!
Cost: $110 Difficulty: Easy
Cut Fabric into 5" by 1" strips
Weave Fabric under one of the holes and back up through another hole (I weaved the fabric in a vertical direction). I left one row of holes empty on all sides.
Pull the fabric so that it’s even on both sides and tie it into a knot (this will hold the fabric in place)
If you are using two colors then you should alternate colors as you go.
Continue adding Fabric Strips alternating colors as you go. It will look bare at first but the more rows you add the fuller it will get. Here is what it looks like after adding two rows of fabric
This is how your DIY Shag Rag Rug will look upclose
This is a completed version of my Shag Rug on wood floors
A picture of how it looks on carpet

To see more: http://www.myloveofstyle.com/2013/04/10/diy-shag-rag-rug-tutorial/

155 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 20 of 155 comments | See Previous
  • Cynthia Etheredge
    Cynthia Etheredge Crowley, TX
    Where do the beginning holes come from?
  • Janet Eller
    Janet Eller Millers Creek, NC
    This is one of the coolest things I've seen on here yet! Awesome job!
  • Andrea
    Andrea Canada
    Did you cut all the pieces by hand or have them machine cut?
    • Jessica
      Jessica Charlotte, NC
      Andrea I cut all the pieces by hand. I would sit in front of the tv at night and would just cut fabric strips. Then that way I would have a pile of them ready for the next day, it
    • Andrea
      Andrea Canada
      Thanks Jessica...maybe one day I will make one for my little granddaughter, it's so cute.
  • Laurie K
    Laurie K Canada
    Oh I know what the cream-colored thing with the holes is, that she wove the strips through. It's one of those rubber foamy under-the-rug things that you put under rugs so they don't slip. I've got a few of those things myself just like the one in her
  • Joan Fisher
    Joan Fisher Montrose, CO
    I love this , such a good idea. I'm going to try this.
  • Linda Roderick
    Linda Roderick Waterville, ME
    Love..love...love this!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    That is adorable Jessica. I started to make one for our daughter before we moved here over a decade ago. She left for basic training shortly afterwards and I never finished it. I need to get it out an finish it for her daughter's room.
    • Jessica
      Jessica Charlotte, NC
      Becky aWWW, Yes, you should definitely finish it, I know that would mean so much to your daughter and your grandaughter!!
    • Becky
      Becky Blair, NE
      Jessica, you're right. I really need to finish it.

Yours is cuter than the inspiration, by the way. I'm sure when your daughter is crawling around she'll love

• Debbi W
    WOW! very nice.
  • Terry_dar
    Beautiful work! Love the colors!
  • Lucia Helena S. Rocha
    Gostei! Vou ver meu retalhinhos e tentar fazer!
  • Jessica
    Jessica Charlotte, NC
    Hi everyone!! I am so thrilled to hear all the kind things you all have said about my daughter's rug. I know alot of you have asked questions regarding the rug mat and fabric. I included a lot of additional detail in the blog post I put together, http://www.myloveofstyle.com/2013/04/10/diy-...
  • Betty F
    It is beautiful!
  • Jessica
    Jessica Charlotte, NC
    Aww, Thanks Becky, that's so sweet of you!!! :-) I hope you're able to finish your rug!! :-) Thanks again!! ~Jessica
  • Pat
    Pat Tucson, AZ
    Love this idea! Can you tell me dimensions of rug you made and how much fabric was needed to complete? Any recommendations on best fabric to use??
  • Ya its me
    ya its me Chicago, IL
    Trying this its very nice
Jessica

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing