DIY Shag Rag Rug {Tutorial}

sha ray rug 2 days ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I have spent the past 4 weeks making a Shag Rag Rug for Riley's nursery and am thrilled to say that it's finally complete!! It was one of the easiest projects I've ever done; however it was by far the most time consuming, but it was WELL worth it!!! It turned out better than I imagined and looks just like the ones that retail for $600+
Checkout my DIY Shag Rag Rug Tutorial!! I hope you enjoy!
Cost: $110 Difficulty: Easy
Cut Fabric into 5" by 1" strips
Weave Fabric under one of the holes and back up through another hole (I weaved the fabric in a vertical direction). I left one row of holes empty on all sides.
Pull the fabric so that it’s even on both sides and tie it into a knot (this will hold the fabric in place)
If you are using two colors then you should alternate colors as you go.
Continue adding Fabric Strips alternating colors as you go. It will look bare at first but the more rows you add the fuller it will get. Here is what it looks like after adding two rows of fabric
This is how your DIY Shag Rag Rug will look upclose
This is a completed version of my Shag Rug on wood floors
A picture of how it looks on carpet

To see more:

• Sue
    Sue Wayland, MI
    I've been pricing rugs for my new living room and just cannot find anything that I'm in love with for a decent price! This is JUST what I needed!
  • Vickie_spenst
    What is the fabric you used as your "base" called? How much fabric did you use for each color? Thank you for the post! :)
  • Sue Sanders
    Sue Sanders Broken Arrow, OK
    Where did you get the base for fabric to tie on.? Have not been in a sewing store in years. Used to sew all the time for my four daughters...even made wedding dresses for two of them...and bridesmaid dresses for daughters in weddings. The backing is
    • Jessica
      Jessica Charlotte, NC
      Sue Sanders Sorry for the delay in responding!! First I want to say how Amazing it is that you can sew so many beautiful dresses, that's a true talent!! The rug pad is a non-slip rug
  • Priscilla
    Priscilla Old Orchard Beach, ME
    How will I see the answers from these questions
  • Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe United Kingdom
    I use the non slip rug fabric its rubbery and the holes are perfect size it comes on a rill and you can join pieces as you work

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post