DIY Shag Rag Rug {Tutorial}

stuff 2 days ago
I have spent the past 4 weeks making a Shag Rag Rug for Riley's nursery and am thrilled to say that it's finally complete!! It was one of the easiest projects I've ever done; however it was by far the most time consuming, but it was WELL worth it!!! It turned out better than I imagined and looks just like the ones that retail for $600+
Checkout my DIY Shag Rag Rug Tutorial!! I hope you enjoy!
Cost: $110 Difficulty: Easy
Cut Fabric into 5" by 1" strips
Weave Fabric under one of the holes and back up through another hole (I weaved the fabric in a vertical direction). I left one row of holes empty on all sides.
Pull the fabric so that it’s even on both sides and tie it into a knot (this will hold the fabric in place)
If you are using two colors then you should alternate colors as you go.
Continue adding Fabric Strips alternating colors as you go. It will look bare at first but the more rows you add the fuller it will get. Here is what it looks like after adding two rows of fabric
This is how your DIY Shag Rag Rug will look upclose
This is a completed version of my Shag Rug on wood floors
A picture of how it looks on carpet

To see more: http://www.myloveofstyle.com/2013/04/10/diy-shag-rag-rug-tutorial/

• Pam
    Pam Tifton, GA
    Fantastic!!! I wonder if it washes well?
    • Doreen J
      Doreen J Sanford, ME
      I have one for my grandsons room... If any part of it get dirty.. I just untie the ones that are dirty and replace them!
  • Thressa jones
    Thressa jones Orlando, FL
    Can this be washed without coming apart if you do single knots? It sure is beautiful!
  • Pam Arnold-Cartwright
    Pam Arnold-Cartwright Putnam Valley, NY
    Love this, thanks for sharing!!
  • Debi E
    Debi E Fort Lauderdale, FL
    where did you get the grid to tie your knots on to?
  • Mary
    Mary New Gloucester, ME
    I am so excited to do this. Thanks for sharing.
  • Mary
    Mary New Gloucester, ME
    Sorry jessica i just read you told cher where to get the rug matt. :(
  • Mary
    Mary New Gloucester, ME
    Cher I would go to lowes and ask for a None slip Rug Matt. The directions were iffy on that as well. But after going to her site you can get the directions more clear. Worth going there.
  • Mary
    Mary New Gloucester, ME
    Hi Jessica i went to your sight and i noticed you also need a yard stick. It was hard to print out . It would have been nice to be able to print directions and pictures. But i will try this deffinately for christmas gifts. Love this DIY.
  • Leah Little Garcia
    Leah Little Garcia New Braunfels, TX
    Looks adorable
  • Jessica
    Jessica Charlotte, NC
    Thank You!! It definitely took a long time to complete, but the good thing about it is you can do it from your living room floor while watching tv. It really does make it more enjoyable! Cher, I purchased the rug mat from Lowes, but you can get them
  • Jenifer Cioppa
    Jenifer Cioppa Russellville, AR
    Did you use a single knot or a double knot?
    • Jessica
      Jessica Charlotte, NC
      Jenifer Cioppa I used a single knot. It has stayed in tact very well and isn't lumpy on my feet when I walk on it.
  • Bethany P
    Bethany P Saint Petersburg, FL
    I am in love with these and have wanted to make one for a long time. I appreciate the tutorial on your website. Not sure I have the patience - but I may try a runner for the guest room. This is beautiful!!
  • Cher D
    Cher D Elyria, OH
    where did you get your rug mat from
  • Cher D
    Cher D Elyria, OH
    stunning stunning stunning
  • Caree Kaufman
    Caree Kaufman Palm Harbor, FL
    love it! I will do this!
Jessica