Want A Seedling Heating Mat? You May Already Own One!

DIY 5 days ago
When starting seeds indoors, one way to get your seeds to sprout faster is to offer a little extra warmth while still keeping the soil mixture moist. You can buy germination heating mats to place under the containers or make your own like I did here.

The idea actually came to me when I was putting away some decorative LED rope lights during the holidays and I noticed they were slightly warm. Perfect temperature for gently warming my seedling containers!

-Simply string the rope lights back and forth in rows along the shelves and sit the water-tight seedling containers on top of them. No need to tie the lights down-the weight of the containers holds them in place.

-Most seeds don't actually need light until they have germinated so just move them to the grow lights once they have sprouted. .

Make sure you read the label on your lights. MIne says it's fine to leave them on but do not ever submerse them in water so I make sure all of my containers do not leak.

More details on my blog including my inexpensive DIY grow light setup: http://www.empressofdirt.net/easy-homemade-h...

• A frugal, homemade alternative to good (but expensive) seedling heating mats.
  • LED rope lights to the rescue. Don't just pack them away after the holiday season!
  • String LED rope lights along a shelf. No need to tie them down. You can see my homemade grow light setup on my blog - it's inexpensive and works great.
  • Sit the seedling container on top of the rope lights. The container will be gently warmed from below.
  • These are my peas a few days after planting. They obviously like this arrangement.

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/easy-homemade-heating-mat-for-starting-seeds/

• Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    That is a great idea!
  • Michael
    Michael Monticello, GA
    Water won't hurt the rope lights, or cause any danger. They are made for outdoor use. I used to have them around my dock at the lake. I've seen them underwater.
    • Louise
      Louise Gold Hill, OR
      My rope lights stay out on my gate 12 months a year, never have leaked or burned out either. This is a wonderful idea for a heat mat.
  • Gerri
    Gerri Davison, MI
    This is very interesting.Something I well think about for I don't have tube led lights as yet. Thanks for sharing.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Gerri, watch for these at yard sales or your local Goodwill. Or the after Xmas sales when things are marked down. Doesn't take many, unless you are doing for a big garden.
  • Desiree Brooker
    Desiree Brooker Danielson, CT
    Lorna, LED lights are different and give a better and more organized lighting spectrum for your plants!!! I.E..the choice for LED lights.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa