Mason Jar Solar Lights!

diy 16 hours ago
Don't you just love all of the things you can make and do with Mason jars? I have been wanting Mason jar solar lights since I saw them in a catalog three years ago, but for $40 a jar there was no way I would allow myself to buy them. I knew I needed to figure out a way to make them myself. I bought some solar lights at the dollar store and was able to come up with my own Mason jar solar lights. Please visit my blog to see all of the details.
Time: 60 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://keepcalmanddecorate.blogspot.com/2013/04/mason-jar-solar-lights.html

• Leah Johnson
    need a few more directions but this seems like a great project for this winter and spring... I need something like this on my back patio deck.. would be wonderful and beautiful to use up those empty jars I have in my basement collecting dust as i am
  • Cindy Campbell
    Cindy Campbell Carmichaels, PA
    I hot glued the rim of the bottom part of solar light to top rim of my mason jar. looked great and held up.
  • Pat Powell
    Pat Powell Gaston, SC
    We used this idea at my neice's wedding back last May. We used the blue jars, solar lights & put a sunflower tied w/burlap around the top. Used them as centerpieces & when it got dark the glow was perfect. Thanks for sharing.
  • Eleanor M
    Eleanor M Grapeland, TX
    I had some cheaper solar lights made of plastic, and they fell apart after a short time in this Texas weather. I took the tops off them and placed them on Mason jars. My solar lights are brighter than ever!
  • Gloria Damron
    Gloria Damron Sebring, OH
    There has been a tutorial on this project on FB before... google the topic~ But it looks like you did fine!!! Love Mason jars for everything!!!!
  • Kate N
    Kate N La Porte City, IA
    Trina Padilla I have to ask, what are captured fairies?
  • Beth Cole Byrne
    Beth Cole Byrne Pittsford, NY
    Lots of possibilities with this in different colors, fillers, uses, etc. Love Ruth LeMarr's idea of using bulb covers from ceiling fans. I have some. These would make great Christmas luminaries, too. Can't wait to get some lights in the spring!
    • Sue Bruns
      Sue Bruns Bemidji, MN
      Beth Cole Byrne Don't wait until spring. I love my solar lights in winter. You can stick the lights into a tin can full of damp sand, let it freeze, set them in a sunny spot
  • Gaylene Hobaugh-Mandelka
    Duct tape is not weatherproof. If it freezes the sticky stuff turns all dry and crumbly. Learned that from experience!
    • Atira
      Atira Chillicothe, OH
      Gaylene Hobaugh-Mandelka I too know duct tape is not weather proof or water proof after trying to use it for 2 very tiny almost pinhole sized holes in my chickens waterer...
    • Memes Jewel
      Memes Jewel Hillsboro, OR
      Atira. Dry out the waterer and seal the holes with clear fingernail polish.
  • Trina Padilla
    Trina Padilla Roswell, NM
    Kate N. I do captured fairies in jars. They are just pictures of fairie that are embellished with silk flowers, brass pieces, wild grassses, ribbons, lace, whatever you have on hand. Just google captured fairies and you will get several examples.
  • Sandy Hunt
    Sandy Hunt Lawton, OK
    After you paint them do you pull the duct tape off the top? What does that look like? I would like to see top of jar.
  • Melissa @ Keep Calm and Decorate
    Hi @Sandy Hunt - The duct tape goes around the side of the light, it doesn't cover the solar panel. I used painters tape to cover the solar panel while painting. I removed the painters tape before placing the lights outside. The duct tape stays on the
  • Rosa Marie
    Rosa Marie Thebes, IL
    You did a great job. I`d love them !!!
  • Gaellic
    Gaellic Salinas, CA
    If you really want a nice glow,besides the solar lights on top of the mason jar,take clear glass pebbles or rocks like you find at Michael's,spray them with Glowz spray paint,make sure you coat the whole of the pebbles or rocks,let them dry then put them
  • Bkbriley
    bkbriley Salinas, CA
    Hey Salinas...I like that Idea! I have those dollar lights all over my place....even tied them to my oak tree. They work great.
  • Tara Grande
    Tara Grande Minneapolis, MN
    What is the diameter of the solar lights you used. I bought some and they were a hair too big to fit in the top of the mason jar and the others ones were too small.
    • Melissa @ Keep Calm and Decorate
      I bought them at the Dollar Tree and have them in storage right now. I will try to find out the diameter at my next visit to Dollar Tree. :)
Melissa @ Keep Calm and Decorate