Mason Jar Solar Lights!

Mary Ann 19 hours ago
Don't you just love all of the things you can make and do with Mason jars? I have been wanting Mason jar solar lights since I saw them in a catalog three years ago, but for $40 a jar there was no way I would allow myself to buy them. I knew I needed to figure out a way to make them myself. I bought some solar lights at the dollar store and was able to come up with my own Mason jar solar lights. Please visit my blog to see all of the details.
Time: 60 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
  • Finished Mason jar solar light.
  • Supplies Needed: Solar lights, duct tape, Mason jars and outer lid, spray paint and painters tape.
  • Screw off the top of the solar light and put painters tape on the top of the solar panel.
  • Spray paint the solar light tops and lids.
  • I folded the duct tape in half to create double sided tape. I used duct to keep the light from falling into the jar. Duct tape is also weather proof.
  • I wrapped the duct tape around the light. Make sure you don't put the tape to close to the top. You don't want the tape to stick out of the lid.
  • I stuck the light with the duct tape inside the jar. You don't need to push the light in too far, just enough to make it snug. The lid will make it more secure.
  • It was an easy project that didn't cost very much money. I had all of the resources with the exception of the lights.

To see more: http://keepcalmanddecorate.blogspot.com/2013/04/mason-jar-solar-lights.html

• Melissa @ Keep Calm and Decorate
    Hi @Sandy Hunt - The duct tape goes around the side of the light, it doesn't cover the solar panel. I used painters tape to cover the solar panel while painting. I removed the painters tape before placing the lights outside. The duct tape stays on the
  • Rosa Marie
    Rosa Marie Thebes, IL
    You did a great job. I`d love them !!!
  • Gaellic
    Gaellic Salinas, CA
    If you really want a nice glow,besides the solar lights on top of the mason jar,take clear glass pebbles or rocks like you find at Michael's,spray them with Glowz spray paint,make sure you coat the whole of the pebbles or rocks,let them dry then put them
  • Bkbriley
    bkbriley Salinas, CA
    Hey Salinas...I like that Idea! I have those dollar lights all over my place....even tied them to my oak tree. They work great.
  • Tara Grande
    Tara Grande Minneapolis, MN
    What is the diameter of the solar lights you used. I bought some and they were a hair too big to fit in the top of the mason jar and the others ones were too small.
    • Melissa @ Keep Calm and Decorate
      I bought them at the Dollar Tree and have them in storage right now. I will try to find out the diameter at my next visit to Dollar Tree. :)
Melissa @ Keep Calm and Decorate