Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
08.12.13

How to get bermuda grass out of a raised bed

I have my raised asparagus bed laid our and sides already staked in. Because the area has never been tilled, we sprayed it twice with extra strength Roundup to kill the wild onions and bermuda grass. Today I tilled it, then raked to get as much of the bermuda grass out as possible, but there has to be millions of spikes still in the dirt. Now how do I get rid of all of them before tilling in the leaves and sand I plan to add to the existing dirt.
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Ricardo B
    Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    I planted my long row of asparagus two years ago and have dutifully allowed the 40 spears or so to grow up and out into dill-like plants as needed for all new beds. This spring will be the first year that I can begin harvesting my bounty.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    A useful tool for removing bermuda from asparagus is the Water Weeder available from Lee Valley Tools. It softens the soil around the roots so lots of the plant can be removed at once.
  • Ricardo B
    Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    Just now viewed the blow-up of the Water-Powered Weeder & read the "how it's done".

Wow, they invented the very tool that I've always dreamed could be made!

• Mike and Anne
    Mike and Anne Raleigh, NC
    From your comments I assume the asparagus has not been planted yet. It does take wet soil to be able to pull Bermuda grass out of a raised bed and "hand pulling" is about the only way to get it out. When you till the area you break the "strands" of
  • Lanelle L
    Lanelle L Morrow, GA
    Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the one about the water weeder. I see I may have a long road ahead to clear all the bermuda grass. I grew up on a farm and know the evasiveness of it very well. I am going to spray the ground one more time
  • Flowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
    At first glance I thought you said "Walter weeder". I did not think Walter made housecalls to pull weeds.
  • Ricardo B
    Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    Having helped Walter's mom with some of her yard issues, maybe Walter will come over and help fix my issues when his very busy schedule ever slows down (big smile here).
  • Phil Bauman
    Phil Bauman Louisburg, NC
    I like taking a new bed, watering it very well then covering it with plastic, and let the sun cook everything underneath it. After about a week, I till the soil up as best as I can and then repeat the process a second time. I find this gives me a good
  • Ricardo B
    Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    I've accidentally left black plastic out on a portion of grassed and noticed that... good idea! Sure would save on the cost of weed killer or the backbreaking stooping of weed pulling.
  • Joshua Richardson
    Joshua Richardson Murfreesboro, TN
    If you really want to get rid of the bermuda grass than this site will help you do that.

http://joshualeeblog.com/wp/how-to-get-rid-o...

Lanelle L
  • Like

Judy Warner

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!