how do you soften baking soda which has hardened

06.22.15
I purchased a huge bag of baking soda for cleaning. It has become a rock. How do I soften it so I can use up the bag?
  • Dan's of Central Florida, Inc.
    Hmm, I've never run into this myself, but it comes to mind that smacking it a bunch with a hammer might work. If that doesn't, I'd just go and get more (perhaps in a smaller quantity).
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    If you are using it for cleaning, you generally will make it into a paste, so it doesn't really have to be a powder again. I would try to chip away at your baking soda rock. In the future, avoid getting any moisture into your baking soda. That is
  • Sharon G
    I want to use it with vinegar to clean the drains and a paste isn't possible. Think I will just throw it out and get a smaller bag. Thanks
  • PainterNoni
    PainterNoni Black Diamond, WA
    I had the same problem...I need it for my goats, for cleaning, etc. It got hard as a rock even before I opened it. I just tried this, and it works. Take a pastry blender...the kind with a handle and metal splines....just scrap the top of the "rock", and
Sharon G