Good Example of a failing shower due to incorrect installation and having to "do it over" from a previously incorrect

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
  • Signs of shower failure, before we took the tile back
  • Well - after we got the curb up, we had nails through the top of the curb and the membrane was cut in the corners
  • The curb was completely rotted away the floor was rotted through and mold had started to grow
  • We removed the damage, installed a new sub deck and went back with the WEDI system sub paneling...
  • Nice tile with a good accent strip was chosen by the customer
  • Finshed off and tied together nicely... finished project, happy customer and a good lesson. Make sure you are choosing reputable contractors and checking their work during the process is a good habit.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Pat....10 K is not cheap....And I feel sorry for you that its not working. Unfortunately these types of repairs can not be fixed with the wave of a magic wand...most will require getting to the root of the problem. a.k..a down to the subfloor / stud
  • Pat C
    Pat C Metairie, LA
    Stop blaming. My bathroom remodel was over $10 grand and my built-in tiled handicap shower leaks. Okay, maybe you consider $10,000 cheap for a shower but now what I need to know is how to fix this problem. Is there a fix that does not call for tearing
  • One Man and A Hammer, Inc.
    When you have the shower re-tiled, ask your contractor if they are familiar with the Schluter Shower System. I use it for all of my clients and have NEVER had any leaks or problems.
  • Home improvement specialties
    If you ever have a tile that pops off also, it's almost always a sure sign of water getting behind it...and before putting that tile back up, look behind it at what it is adhesed to...if it's drywall, white or green, it shouldn't be there. People think
  • SheilaG, Plum Doodles
    SheilaG, Plum Doodles Simpsonville, SC
    There was mold , but we thought it was just poor housekeeping when we originally looked at the house. We discovered our problem because of efflorescence on the floor tiles, and the fact that we couldn't re-caulk the corners (caulk wouldn't stick)
  • The Trusted Toolbox - Home Repairs and Projects
    Sheila - watch for your your shower mildewing or molding within a short period of time (see picture 1) for one, or if you can "hear" drips below the shower on the finished drywall ceiling an lastly small water stains on the finished ceiling below. These
  • SheilaG, Plum Doodles
    SheilaG, Plum Doodles Simpsonville, SC
    I'm not sure how you're supposed to know such things in a house already built and the crappy workmanship covered up. Ours was 7 years old when we bought it. I wonder how many homes in our neighborhood have showers ready to fall through the floor.
  • Home improvement specialties
    The days of "money no object" homeowners are long gone.
  • Home improvement specialties
    Teresa, my posts weren't about blaming anyone either, but there are different ways to do things, and in most spec homes, the cheapest way possible is done. Those are the repair jobs I normally do - upper end homes, where shoddy work was the rule rather
  • Posh Patios
    Posh Patios Villa Rica, GA
    I was always get accuse of over doing things. If price A is $500 and price B is $1100 ask specifically why. And do some research. Seems like 90% of the customer always goes with price A....the guy who "does it all the time" with no problems. Well he
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I have found great contractors who care about their work - It is such a pleasure knowing the finished project will be better than what I asked for. I depend on contractors I've used in the past to recommend people they have worked with. It has worked
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.
    2 funny Ricardo, at least he gave an honest answer. The pervading culture being what it is, very short term oriented, it's easy to feel like the game is rigged.
  • Ricardo B
    Ricardo B Alpine, TX
    What I'm about to post here is only to make a comment about the word, QUALITY, not to disparage anyone...

When the home we're now in was being buildt, I had subcontractors that would do ninja stuff. They'd jump in and do their

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.
    Teresa you are right in that the system does not work very well here to protect the homeowner. If pros were expected to be trained, licensed and tracked, then there would be a more standardized, universally accepted finished product, instead of
  • One Man and A Hammer, Inc.
    Teresa,you are right in some instances. I agree that some homeowners do not intentionally "cheap out". It is my job as a pro to educate my clients about the job at hand. If the client still makes a choice based on price then they will get what they paid
The Trusted Toolbox - Home Repairs and Projects

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post