How To Make Garden Treasure Jars

Garden Art 6 days ago
I started making these treasure jars when my kids were little and they wanted to make some garden art of their own. Because the jars remain functional, you can hide little notes and toys inside. Use them like little time capsules or part of a treasure hunt. And, of course, the covered jars look like pretty jewels in the garden.
1. Cover any used jar (keep the lid) with flat-bottom marbles (also sold as 'florist stones' or 'glass gems'). I use GE Silicone II sealant (clear, waterproof) as an adhesive.
2. Mount the lid on a post or dowel.
3. Attach the jar.
Notes and tiny treasures can be added at any time.
This is a simple, easy craft for kids and adults.
Any used food jars will work. Keep the lids!
You want to cover the jar with flat-bottom marbles using silicone sealant as an adhesive. Work from the bottom up so each row supports the next one.
Attach the jar lid to a post or dowel using a wood screw.
But first hide a wish and tiny toys inside for a surprise later.
Check the jars every now and then. You never know when you might find a treasure!

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/gardentreasurejars/

• Carol Shenkenberg
    Carol Shenkenberg Milwaukee, WI
    That's what I do, too, Joan Sircy! You almost have to let the bottom row dry awhile so they support the next layers.
    • Zeebo
      zeebo Hugo, MN
      Carol I love your avatar, what a cute little face!
  • Carol Shenkenberg
    Carol Shenkenberg Milwaukee, WI
    Thank you, Zeebo. Sundrop was a puppy on that picture and has grown to a whole 13 pounds and 4 years old now. He is just as cute now as when I first got him at 8 weeks old! His adorable personality wins everyone in the neighborhood over and he is the
  • Jean Luby
    Jean Luby Canada
    Love this idea but quite understand how you would light them up at night with battery operated tea lights. Don't you have to turn those off and on?
  • Jean Luby
    Jean Luby Canada
    I'd like to know how you get your picture up with your comments.
  • Faget
    I love it it's a super idea, I try to do it bravo I'm french for the sud ouest of france martine
Empress of Dirt - Melissa