How To Make Garden Treasure Jars

Jardin 1 hour ago
I started making these treasure jars when my kids were little and they wanted to make some garden art of their own. Because the jars remain functional, you can hide little notes and toys inside. Use them like little time capsules or part of a treasure hunt. And, of course, the covered jars look like pretty jewels in the garden.
1. Cover any used jar (keep the lid) with flat-bottom marbles (also sold as 'florist stones' or 'glass gems'). I use GE Silicone II sealant (clear, waterproof) as an adhesive.
2. Mount the lid on a post or dowel.
3. Attach the jar.
Notes and tiny treasures can be added at any time.
This is a simple, easy craft for kids and adults.
Any used food jars will work. Keep the lids!
You want to cover the jar with flat-bottom marbles using silicone sealant as an adhesive. Work from the bottom up so each row supports the next one.
Attach the jar lid to a post or dowel using a wood screw.
But first hide a wish and tiny toys inside for a surprise later.
Check the jars every now and then. You never know when you might find a treasure!

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/gardentreasurejars/

• Faget
    I love it it's a super idea, I try to do it bravo I'm french for the sud ouest of france martine
  • Sssincolorado2
    Can you use j-2000 glue
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Garden Grove, CA
    Hi I've been having fun making some of these jars. I have a problem that I'm really curious if anyone else is as well. I end up w silicone all over the outside side of marbles. If anyone can answer this & advise as to what I'm doing wrong. Or how to
    • Carol Shenkenberg
      Carol Shenkenberg Milwaukee, WI
      Lisa Rose I start at the rim of the jar with the first row and apply a line of silicone glue. After the first row of marbles are on, let sit for a few minutes so the glue can firm
  • Bonae Paustian
    Bonae Paustian Yuba City, CA
    Has anyone tried putting battery operated tea lights in these? Thought they'd make great garden lights.
    • Carol Shenkenberg
      Carol Shenkenberg Milwaukee, WI
      Bonae Paustian I have used battery operated tea lights in some of mine, and it does work well. The only thing is, you have to open each jar to turn on and off each time. I
  • Ruby Satterfield
    Ruby Satterfield Wasola, MO
    thank you . I will be doing this if I can find the marbles in our walmart store.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

Search Feedback