Hometalk.com

02.05.12

Why is my yard getting thatch through out, and how can I fix the problem?

8 Comments Displaying 8 of 8 comments
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Do you know what type grass you have?
  • Michelle I Marshallville, GA
    I believe its St Augustine or its equivalent in Middle GA, it looks like what we had in FLorida
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    You could be getting thatch from natural die off of leaves when grass goes dormant(brown in winter). I suspect it is due to dormancy.
  • Michelle I Marshallville, GA
    Is it possible that the lawn is being cut too short?
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Maybe....if it is getting too long in between cuts...then getting scalped each time it is being cut. How tall is it after being cut usually?
  • Michelle I Marshallville, GA
    it appears to me about 2 1/2 inches though I am being told the lawn mower is set on 4 iches
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    2 1/2 inch height is good for St Augustine. if you go any higher than 3, it will make it look pretty raggedy. Take a look at Walter Reeves has to say about maintaining St. Augustine, it may help you make some decisions on what to do with your grass.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    The recommendations for growing heights may be a little different in Georgia, but the University of Florida Extension Service says 3.5 to 4 inches is optimal for most St. Augustine cultivars. That means setting your mower on its highest setting. You need