Hometalk.com

12.06.12

I covered my attic insulation with an aluminum double layered sheets.

Haven't had time to see effect on electric bill, but we seem to hold in the heat much better. Anyone else tried this. The biggest change will be when the heat of summer gets trapped in the attic instead of fighting the air conditioning.
12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    These "foil" installs are more about reducing summer gains than keeping winter heat in.
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    I would also be curious to see if this helped with winter heating bills. I have always assumed the foil barriers are purely for blocking summer heat, as KMS said.
  • I would be interested in knowing just how well this works and what product it was that you used. Many of these products do not allow for proper ventilation and end up causing moisture and mold issues. Keep us posted and keep an eye on the attic for
  • I hope you made consideration for venting moisture out and not trapping it under the sheet or you will ruin the insulation under it with mold
  • Nichter, that is exactly my point. Many of these foil barriers do not have the ability to properly transfer moisture and many more although claim to have micro holes to allow for this transfer to take place. The holes are simply way to small and end up
  • Peter C Wake Forest, NC
    I didn't know of the problem, but the attic is loosely laid and even goes over aid ducts. I also have vents at both ends and a fan when temps get too warm. I will check on it though as time passes. It is too soon to see if it lower bill as we have had a
  • Reflective insulation only works when there is at least a one inch air space in front of it.

Since you have this laid directly on top of the current insulation, that condition does not exist, so if you are noticing a

• Peter, the condensation will form under the foil not on top. Your home creates a natural drafting effect. Meaning air that is entering into the basement along the sill area is being pulled up through the wall cavities in the spaces between the wall
  • Once he sees the signs of blackening molds it is too late. I know of one family whose young son was very adversely effected by mold in the house. When I inspected it, I found a film on top of the attic insulation like this and very wet moldy FG
  • That is a great book Nichter, I know the author very well. I used to hand out that book with every home mold job that my company did. The only thing I can add is to stand back after reading it to try to understand what he is saying. If you take
  • Melissa Gutilla Stephens City, VA
    I can tell everyone from personal experience Mold is horrible if you have allergies!! We lived in a home about 10 years ago that got very little light because of the trees in the yard. Our yard was mainly moss and the back of the house had to be cleaned
  • Melissa all great points. Mold can be difficult to detect and can cause all sorts of strange illnesses that people would never even think was being caused by a mold issue.