Granite sealing

03.26.12
I found a company that says they have a product that that seals granite permanently with a lifetime warranty. NO STAINS EVER. Is such a product safe and effective? could it damage the stone. Does anyone know what it is or what chemicals are used and are they safe.
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    WE .. the depth and width of your expertise never seize to amaze me! I wish you were in Atlanta, I'd be honored to work on the same jobsite as you!
  • Don J
    Don J Raleigh, NC
    Will do. Thanks
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    NO sealer until you get your desired results. Also as you do this you want to work further out from the worse area to the better. This way it blends in for you.
  • Don J
    Don J Raleigh, NC
    I used the compound and buffer with water as it dried out as you suggested. It worked pretty good . i'm going to do it once again tomorrow .I liked the results. Do I need to put sealer on the area now?
  • AA Marble & Granite, LLC
    Our granite is Resin infused at the quarry. A good test for sealant is to poor 1/4 cup of water on the stone. If it pills up...sealer is good. If the water puddles and runs... you should seal. It's a wipe on, wipe off action similar to waxing your
  • Don J
    Don J Raleigh, NC
    Thanks so much Woodbridge. I will try the car compound and my orbital buffer and let you know my results. Your advice is very much appreciated. Thanks
    Yes the buffer will work well. Do not expect this to change right away however. It will take some time and effort to make this work. You may need to keep applying the compound as well as some water. Simply mist it on the top as it begins to dry out from
  • Don J
    Don J Raleigh, NC
    I like the polished mirror. I have the white polishing compound you use on cars. Would the oscillating buffer I use on waxing a car work with the compound to create the shine or do I need something else? Do you use a diamond polishing pad with the
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Your "dullness" may be due to some "etching" this is the chemical degradation of the stone it self....a bit like how rusts make smooth shinny metal rough and dull... the application of a sealer would be like painting the rusty metal...it would merely
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Great advice guys .. Don, try not to be too upset, granite is beautiful .. but clearly nature can be unpredictable!
    Home Improvement is correct. The sealer does little to nothing to improve the gloss of the finish with the exception when the surface is wet.
  • Home improvement specialties
    Don, first off try polishing the stone with a 3" grinder and polishing pad, rather than a sealer. Any sealer will dull the original finish, even the glossy stuff, and if you're using it in the kitchen, a good high gloss can be achieved by polishing it
  • Don J
    Don J Raleigh, NC
    Sorry wa was meant to say wax the area to no avail
  • Don J
    Don J Raleigh, NC
    I have talked to the original installer. He just shrugs his shoulders and slaps his forehead. Any other ideas to gloss up the area would be appreciated. I have even tried the wa. For granite from Home Depot to no a avail. HELP
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    did you talk with the original fabricator? I would ask what product they used to seal it. I have not heard of issues like this before .. maybe one of the other HomeTalk pros will see this message to chime in too..
Don J